Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slipstreamed SP1 Win2003 Server -Answer file prob- winnt.sif

Hi,
    I am trying to make a Windows 2003 Server SP1 bootable CD. I've actually done so, although I can't get 1 part of it to work.

I sucessfully slipstreamed SP1 into the i386 folder, and followed all instructions for making a bootable CD (used Nero). The CD works flawlessly, except for 1 caveat... I'm running Windows Setup Manager from the deploy.cab file on the Server CD, and want to create an answer file for an automated installation from CD. I've done so successfully, and dropped the "winnt.sif" file into the root of the CD I'm burning.

Problem is, that the install hiccups on the CD key for Windows each time. I've double-checked my serial number and it is definitely typed correctly. I opened the winnt.sif file in notepad, and even tried adding " " before and after the key to see if that worked... Still no luck...

What is the trick to getting the CD key to take?

Thanks,
    Steve

Hi Mate,

are you sure that the product key is the correct version for the OS, i.e you are using a VLK with a VLK install and not a retail install ???

The product key section should just look like

ProductKey=22222-22222-22222-22222-22222

No spaces and no " marks. Also what is your UnattendMode= set to ??

Topper
    * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

The Product Key is the right product key for that product. If I do an install off the original CD, with the key it works fine, it juts doesnt seem to auto-insert the number from my winnt.sif file.

The original CD Says:
      "MS Win Server 2003 Standard Edition" (Volume License Product Key Required" and is a light blue CD..

Unattend mode=Fullunattended

I've attached the winnt.sif file and replaced to Prod key with a bogus #

The winnt.sif file goes in the root of the CD-Rom, correct?

Thanks!
      Attached Files

Comment

I can't see a problem with that it looks fine, although the file you uploaded was a txt file, I'm presuming you changed the extension before uploading.

Topper
        * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Originally posted by topper
          I can't see a problem with that it looks fine, although the file you uploaded was a txt file, I'm presuming you changed the extension before uploading.

Topper
          Correct, I could only upload a text file... The file name is "winnt.sif" located in the root...

I'm buring another CD and trying again... I just looked at my Win XP SP2 slipstreamed CD (which works similarily; no Prod ID required for install) and I can't locate the winnt.sif file at all... Does that seem strange? I made it a few months ago and dont remember what I did to make it work...

I'll let you know how the disk turns out..

Thx

Comment

I just checked my Win XP Pro SP2 slipstreamed CD and for that one I had put the winnt.sif file in the i386 folder, and had put the Product ID key in quotes... going to try to make the CD with and without quotes in the i386 folder and see what happens...

Comment

Got it! Needs to be in the i386 folder, w/o quotes

Originally posted by sna77
              I just checked my Win XP Pro SP2 slipstreamed CD and for that one I had put the winnt.sif file in the i386 folder, and had put the Product ID key in quotes... going to try to make the CD with and without quotes in the i386 folder and see what happens...

OK,
              Got it working. the winnt.sif file needs to be in the i386 folder, not the CD root. No quotes on the Product ID either... Nice of MS to leave that out of the directions... ugh.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Thanks for posting back the solution to this problem. It is appreciated.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X