Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to clean up DNS - Please help

Hi,

I'm trying to resolve some issues with our domain after a domain controller migration. Evreything is working fine apart from a SQL application that is giving intermittent "Cannot Generate SSPI Content" errors. I suspect that this may be related to our DNS setup.

In removing the old DC, I had to do a metadata cleanup. That seemed to be successful, however, when running nslookup against the domain, the old machines ip address shows up along with that of a domain controller that we removed 4 years ago. This strikes me as wrong. Is this something to worry about and, if so, how can I fix this?

Thanks

Re: Trying to clean up DNS - Please help

Hi

Have you checked that all DNS entries from the old server are gone from DNS.

I had a DC fail over a year ago, and even though I followed standard procedure for removing the data from AD, there were still many references to it's IP address in DNS which needed to be cleared.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hi Blood,

There are no references in the DNS gui. I'm assuming from the nslookup output that there must be some reference in the DNS database for these addresses. Do you know of any way to query/repair this?

Thanks

Mike

Comment

Sorry, no. Hopefully, someone else may know how to do this.

I went through each part of DNS and manually deleted the redundant entries. It made me sweat!

A long shot:
        The only other time (and my experience is not extensive), I have seen references to redundant/deleted locations is when old links in the Recent folder or Network Neighborhood still exist. This was another problem that was identified after my DC failed.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Have a look under the _msdcs.domain.local Foward Lookup Zones containers. Also right click this container and select Name Servers, anything listed there?
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

No chance the new DC had the old DCs IP added as a secondary IP ?
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. Andy, I'm not really sure what you mean by secondary ip address. The machine has only one NIC and it's definitely only ever had one ip. Also that doesn't explain the other machines addresses appearing.
              I've checked the forward lookup zone over and over with nothing showing up.
              The nslookup query shows the following addresses:
              192.168.16.3 192.168.16.2 192.168.16.44 217.30.117.114
              The first one is my new dc and dns server, the only one presently on the network.
              The second is the dc that I just retired.
              The third is the internal address of a dc that was retired around four years ago and the fourth was the external ip of that machine.
              The 2nd, 3rd and fourth addresses don't exist on my network any more.
              It might be nothing to worry about, but I can't help thinking that it's not right.

Thanks again,

Mike

Comment

You could try scavenging your DNS. I don't think it will help though. It will tidy up old records though.
                Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

It was just an idea.
                  You could also right click and properties for the zone itself and see if there are other name servers listed incorrectly.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Have you tried fulshing the dns cache on the SQL server that is giving you problems??

It doesn't have a HOSTS file in use does it??

Comment

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Following a suggestion to export the dns records to a file seems for some reason to have exposed previously not shown (Same as parent folder) records for the "phantom" addresses in the DNS gui and allowed me to delete them.
                      We'll see if this has any effect on the SQL today.

Comment

Working...
                      X