New DC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New DC

I am a new computer guy for a business of 100 people. They have 3 servers with Windows 2000 Advanced Server and 1 of those has Exchagne 2003.

The first DC named SRV01 got hit by lightning and is making a really loud clanking noise.....bosman ordered a replacement from another office with Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 with all of the neccessary CAL's. It will be delivered on Monday. In addition to being the "MAIN" DC it also did DNS, DHCP, and had a shared printer.

When I install the new 2k3 server, how do I make it become the new "main" DC just as if it were the first one from the beginning?

Basically I want to make the new server the "main DC" and remove totally the one that was hit by lightning and fool all of the other DC's so that they don't know anything happened.

Re: New DC

3 questions.

1) is the damaged server still functioning?
    2) do you have another functioning DC that serves as a DNS/DHCP besides the damaged Server?
    3) do you have backups of the damaged SystemState and C drive? (if not Backup it NOW!)
    You don't need to fool the Other DCs, they won't really mind who would be their new friend
    as long as you introduce him to them correctly
    Last edited by Akila; 27th September 2008, 16:37.

Comment

1) is the damaged server still functioning?-->YES
      2) do you have another functioning DC that serves as a DNS/DHCP besides the damaged Server?-->NO not at this time
      3) do you have backups of the damaged SystemState and C drive? (if not Backup it NOW!)-->Yes

As you noted in your message, what is the best way to introduce the new 2k3 server to the 2000 Advanced Servers to take the place of the first DC.....I want to make sure everyone plays well with everyone else.

Comment

every thing would work fine, we would continue this after this thread/post would be move to the Active Directory" Section.

Please move this thread to the "Active Directory" forum..

Comment

I am not sure how to move a thread.....is that something that you can walk me through!

Comment

Originally posted by yeldar View Post
            I am not sure how to move a thread.....is that something that you can walk me through!
            Don't you worry about that. The thread will be moved if deemed necessary and at the moment I think it can carry on here.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
              Don't you worry about that. The thread will be moved if deemed necessary and at the moment I think it can carry on here.
              OK Thank You!!

Comment

Working...
              X