Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 Server problem that no techie has heard of before

Hello,
    I opened a ticket with Microsoft because I could not do anything with certain programmes on my newly installed BDC, a clean install from a TechNet subscription.

I had decided to replace two 36GB U320 with two 72GB U320; to change the JBOD on the Adaptec 3200s to RAID-5, and then do the install.

Everything seemed to work, except that I had immediately run dcpromo to make the box a BDC. Then I installed Adaptec Storage Manager Pro, which could not find the adapter, and also, of course, the drives.

I could not open any programmes from Start, Programs. I could not open any event in Event Viewer, so I could not discover what problem there was with DNS, although I knew there was one.

I eventually contacted MS, and they could not access my BDC using Easy Assist, only a black screen. Using RDP from the properly working PDC, programmes could be run and Event Viewer items opened. However, running dcpromo to remove AD meant that the computer worked correctly in all ways. When we had done that and reinstalled AD, the problems returned.

Nothing known about this: no Administrator account was usable, and of course those are needed to do administrative work.

So, I think that I shall have to promote my PDC to Windows 2008 Enterprise, run dcpromo and see what gives if I do the same to what was the BDC. Time to upgrade anyway. I must say that the Compaq ML570 run as PDC has been rock solid, but the Microsoft Techies in Delhi tell me that W2008 is better and I should go that route. Would take me at least a day's work, but we'll see, when I can raise the courage to start on it.

When the computer is not a DC I can install programmes successfully: eg., the Storage Manager Pro software now sees the Adaptec controller and its associated drives. And, I can open programmes from the Start button.

But, to have a problem that is seemingly unknown of is a cachet, what?
    I do expect that one of you will tell me that it's happened to you!!
    Regards,
    Paul

Re: Windows 2003 Server problem that no techie has heard of before

The terms PDC and BDC no longer exist in Server 2000 and Server 2003. No wonder Microsoft can't solve the problem, they don't know what the acronyms mean.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Windows 2003 Server problem that no techie has heard of before

Hello,
      Mea culpa, it was I who was talking about BDC and PDC to the techies. I know that the acronyms are redundant, but that is how I think of the two machines. I know which one I would prefer to update to W2008 S Ent. The other is my definition of a fall back machine, should the big beastie have a fit.

As an aside, I have found a much cheaper piece of software to clone any hard drive on any of my PCs and Servers: http://www.disk-image.net/

I bought their Corporate offering the other day. Cheaper than the True Image Workstation for PCs only, that Acronis offers. And far cheaper than Acronis' server software. Actually, it was cheap enough that I don't really care if it doesn't work!

Regards,
      Paul

Comment

Working...
      X