Is Load Balancing Possible with TS/

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Load Balancing Possible with TS/

Question: When having more than 1 server, and a lot of the users connect to a server via RDP....is there a way to balance the load on that server by having the other server assist when a user uses RAM and CPU intensive applications on the server?

If yes, how?

thank you

Re: Is Load Balancing Possible with TS/

NLB, 2X Load Balancer, NetScaler, Radware, etc., etc.

Comment

Nice,
      lots of options....thank you.

Comment

use 2X Load Balancer..

Comment

Originally posted by VictorAlderman View Post
          use 2X Load Balancer..
          Care to explain?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Joe & Victor, have you had a chance to try Session Broker on 2008 Server as yet? Do you know how it rates in comparison to the previously mentioned products.

I notice that when reading through the specs for those products they have the same features as TS Session Broker.

Comment

Just note that NLB and TS Broker use RoundRobin (and TS Broker checks the number of sessions too) for load balancing. This means that a new session will not go to the least busy server, but to the least "crowded". You can have a session that uses a lot of resources, and other ten (on another server) that take much less. So, the load balancing is not quite what the OP needed.
              I am using 2X Load Balancer (and I am very happy with it. It does a great job. Victor, can you share with us why are you disappointed about it?). You have the option of choosing the LB method (yes, it does have RoundRobin too, but why?). If you choose the resource-based, you need to install an agent on the server and the 2X LB server will give every server a mark based on what you choose: CPU, memory, number of sessions or any combination of those.
              I am not accustomed with the other products joeqwerty mentioned, so cannot tell anything about them.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Yes,
                just downloaded 2X and I like to so far.
                Very user friendly interface and straight forward.

Thanks for recommendation.

Comment

Is there anything wrong with using (With Server 2003) Session Directory and TSLB built into Server 2003 Enterprise?

Tom
                  For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
                    Is there anything wrong with using (With Server 2003) Session Directory and TSLB built into Server 2003 Enterprise?
                    Have you seen my previous post? I think it has the answer to your question ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

I am using 2X Load Balancer (and I am very happy with it. It does a great job. Victor, can you share with us why are you disappointed about it?). You have the option of choosing the LB method (yes, it does have RoundRobin too, but why?). If you choose the resource-based, you need to install an agent on the server and the 2X LB server will give every server a mark based on what you choose: CPU, memory, number of sessions or any combination of those.
                      I am not accustomed with the other products joeqwerty mentioned, so cannot tell anything about them.
                      Sorinso, regarding your use of 2x LB, I was reading your sticky on the subject & note you had a separate VM ware server acting as the Load balancing server which instructs the agents on 4 TS's in a farm on where to send the next incoming session. Can you tell me what sort of specs you had on the individual servers in this farm? In the screen shots you had it showed 20-30 users per server or all up?

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                        Just note that NLB and TS Broker use RoundRobin (and TS Broker checks the number of sessions too) for load balancing. This means that a new session will not go to the least busy server, but to the least "crowded". You can have a session that uses a lot of resources, and other ten (on another server) that take much less. So, the load balancing is not quite what the OP needed.
                        IIRC
                        NLB does not do its job as the DNS roundrobin does.
                        NLB spread the load based on network Load traffic from the machines. Roundrobin doesn't do this.

Citrix is the better way to go
                        Last edited by Dumber; 28th September 2008, 11:23.
                        Marcel
                        Technical Consultant
                        Netherlands
                        http://www.phetios.com
                        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Dumber, it was too long ago I dealt with the NLB technology to remember exactly how it is implemented, I only remember it is not exactly "load balancing"... The integrator said those days also to use Citrix
                          mobius2011: The story is a bit more complicated than what you describe (note to self: check the sticky post and edit/delete as needed). When 2XLB works resource-based, it acts as a TS Gateway, meaning all communications pass through it. So, saying
                          instructs the agents on 4 TS's in a farm on where to send the next incoming session
                          is quite simplistic...
                          Regarding the servers, they are dual Xeon 3.2GHz, 4GB RAM and 2 mirrored 72GB HDs. My users run only IE and few PDFs. I can run 35-40 users on one server without problem...
                          Last edited by sorinso; 28th September 2008, 13:09.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

NLB simply doens't balance the load of the server eg cpu, memory, IO etc.
                            It's only balancing the network load.

RoundRobin sends you to a server by using dns. If the host is unavailable, roundrobin will not detect this and it simply send you to that server. NLB will detect that and it will skip that server
                            Marcel
                            Technical Consultant
                            Netherlands
                            http://www.phetios.com
                            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

When 2XLB works resource-based, it acts as a TS Gateway, meaning all communications pass through it. So, saying
                              Quote:
                              instructs the agents on 4 TS's in a farm on where to send the next incoming session
                              is quite simplistic...
                              Ok, yes I agree, I was metaphorically speaking in the sense that when a new session or a previously disconnected session attempts to reconnect to the server farm it needs to go through 2x Load balancer first, they dont just connect directly to the server farms e.g. The 2X Load Balancer server goes down & NO conections will be made tothe server farm.

I wasnt so much focused on the 2x Load Balancing server itself, I was just trying to jog your memory about the sticky you wrote & was more interested in the server specs & users.

Comment

Working...
                              X