Internet Printing Protocol

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Printing Protocol

This is a two part question. I have IPP setup on a windows 2003 print server, server has about 25 printers. when i navigate to the print server web page e.g. http://printserver/printers i see all the printers. This would be fine, but i dont want the users to be able to print to all of the printers, only select ones. Problems:

1. How do i restrict the printers that show up on this page? i tried deleting the printer within IIS default website tree, but that didnt work, i removed list directory under the properties of the printer and that didnt work.

2. The printers show in both IE7 and FireFox 3.0.2 however the connect button does not show up in FireFox, so the users are limited to using IE. Any ideas?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Internet Printing Protocol

How do i restrict the printers that show up on this page?
    I thought that only shared printers turn up on that internet printing page. Either try unsharing the printers you dont want people to access OR set NTFS permissions to restrict them accessing them.

Comment

I cant unshare them. The way the system works is that there is a printer setup as a local port and one setup as a TCP/IP printer. There is another software on a print station get both of these printer and only releases the job when it is paid for. If i leave all the shared printers on the site users will have too many options the local port printer (which is what they need) and the TCP/IP printer. restrictions are set, so even if they tried to connect to the TCP/IP printer it would deny the session, but the page is full of cumbersome information at this point.

Comment

Solved it: I had to remove everyone from the permissions of the printers and added the user who had control on the print station.

Comment

Three posts and you asked and solve a question PLUS you have contributed to the Petri Knowledge. Well done on figuring out the solution and Thank You for posting back with the solution. This is the Community Spirit we appreciate on this site. Looking forward to more from you in the future. or if you prefer.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Errr
            OR set NTFS permissions to restrict them accessing them.
            I had to remove everyone from the permissions
            This was different somehow?

Comment

Working...
            X