Having problems with files reappearing after deletion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having problems with files reappearing after deletion

Okay, I'll try to set this up the best that I can, but the bottom line is that deleted and moved documents and directories are coming back in their original locations.

I've got a Win 2003 R2 SP 2 file server that hosts the majority of our documents in a shared directory called "Documents." Share permissions are set to Full Control for Authenticated Users. Security for the Share is set to Read & Execute, List Folder Contents and Read for Domain\Users. Offline settings WERE set to "Only the files and programs that users specify will be available offline" but I've changed that to "Files or programs from the share will not be available offline" in an effort to fix this problem.

Recently I started using DFS (R2 version) to replicate this directory to two other servers, also using DFS R2. I set replication to full mesh with the idea of using it for a failover type of system. Set users to a mapped drive pointing to the DFS Share then if the main server goes down for any reason, our peeps don't really notice, it just fails over to another. When the downed server is brought back up, replication brings it up to date, the users failback to the main and everything is cherry.

Well, while that was the PLAN, it sure didn't seem to work out that way. I should have known that it wouldn't be that simple or work that easily. Problems with it have forced me to pull it from DFS.

SO - I removed it from DFS. It doesn't show up in any namespaces, replication groups, nothing. I changed the names of the directories on the other two servers as well (just renamed with 'xxx' in front of the name) and yet - I can't delete certain directories without them reappearing overnight. I'm not using the recycle bin for this stuff, I'm holding the shift down when I delete to bypass all that.

I've wanted to clean up our directory structure for a while now, you know how users get with putting stuff everywhere willy-nilly. So, I moved some folders into others, and outright deleted some because they've been archived elsewhere. Well, SOME of them constantly come back while others that were moved stayed moved or stayed deleted. For the directories that come back, that now means that it's in two spots - the old location that I deleted it from as well as the new location that I moved it to.

I've done everything as a domain admin so there shouldn't be a problem with that. I just cannot find what in the heck is bringing these back and put a stop to it. Is there any way to set up specific logging to find out what's going on? Nothing shows in the normal everyday event logs.

Sorry to be so long winded but does anyone have any thoughts?

Re: Having problems with files reappearing after deletion

What were the problems you were experiencing in the first place. I'll be honest and say that each time I have used DFS and the new DFS-R I haven't had many issues.

Can you run a diagnostic report to see what that says?
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

That's sort of the problem, I've removed any reference to this namespace/replication group from DFS. Without it being there, there's no way to run DFS diagnostics against it.

Unless you're referring to some other diagnostic program?

S.

Comment

Humm no.

So if you right click 'Namespaces' then 'Add Namespaces to Display...' it shows no namespaces available? Also the same for replication groups?
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

It shows my other two namespaces - but not the one regarding this particular share.

Comment

Working...
          X