Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blank tcp/ip settings

Hi all,

I have a problem with a windows server 2003, Enterprise Edition SP1.

I am configuring the network settings using the "local are connection " properties.

When i configure a static IP, close the window and running "ipconifg" i can see that the OS can see the ip .

---------------------------
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig
    Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter MGMT2:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Ethernet adapter MGMT:
    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.56.58.35
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.56.58.1
    ----------------------------

But when i come back to the settings windows i get an empty window as though i didn't configure a thing!

This problem was starting to do problems when i tried to use the netsh command in order to add more ip's to one of the interfaces and failed. ( the command just ran over the primery ip instead of adding another one).

Any way , my qestion is..
    1. why there is the issue of the blank tcp/ip windows
    2. And why i can't add another ip to the interface??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Re: Blank tcp/ip settings

Just to add...

I installed the drivers for that NIC again and again.
    And checked that there are no devices on the device manager that are not installed properly.

Anyone??

Comment

Try another NIC. You could have a faulty one.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replay.

It's about 20 machines that have the same problem.
        So i assume it's not a fualty NIC.

BTW the mchaines are hp dl360 G5.

Just to be on the safe side, I have downloaded hp smart update and installed it , so it installed all the needed drivers.

Comment

I don't suppose you have Symantec Endpoint Protection?

Did you use the netsh command on all of these servers then?
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by tprizler View Post
            Hi,

Thanks for the replay.

It's about 20 machines that have the same problem.
            So i assume it's not a fualty NIC.

BTW the mchaines are hp dl360 G5.

Just to be on the safe side, I have downloaded hp smart update and installed it , so it installed all the needed drivers.
            Ok, let us start all over.

What is having the problem, the Server 2003 Enterprise or the workstations? You first post indicates you have an IP problem with the NIC on your server and now we have new information about 20 machine that may or may not be servers.

Please provide information about your setup and exact problem so we don't waste time and suggestions guessing at what is being refered to. Thank you.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

had the same issue with quite a few Dell PE2950 servers, all with Broadcom NetXreme II NICs.

we found a solution, which involves about 25 registry key hacks, but the CORRECT solution was to reinstall the OS using the official installation CD that Dell ships out, and insert the windows CD when prompted.

apparently there was some corrupt image that was loaded on those servers at the factory, and they removed it from production after the issue occured.

so bottom line - try to reinstall using HP drivers, broadcoms are a bit strange when it comes to drivers
              Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Were the machines installed with the latest SmartStart CD?
                By any chance, have you cloned the machines, to make the things work faster?

Damn, Dimitry got me

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

First of all thaakns for the replays!

Second...

1. I don't have Symantec Endpoint Protection.

2. biggles77 - Let me explain my self again.

I posted this problem as an over-all problem to 20 servers inside my lab (all of them are hp dl360 g5) I thought about solving the problem to one machine and then apply it to all of them.

I have more machines from the same time that are installed with linux. they are functioning fine! the problems starts when i installe don the the windows 2003 server.

3. DYasny - To tell you the truth starting exporting registry keys was my next idea..but it's very clumsy!!
                  I am installing those OS's using a RIS server, So I didn't want to install those machine the "right" way... using hp smart start disk.

So no idea exept installing the machines with the hp driver??
                  The thing is, what should i do with 20 machines that are already working?

4. sorinso - At the begining i used the latest hp support pack. but that some HP technician told me to use the 7.91 version because the latest have problems with the NIC.

So i used both, and without success.

Just to add, i notices to a error in the event viewer.

Event ID : 4191

IP could not open the registry key for adapter TCPIP\Parameters\Adapters\NDISWANIP. Interfaces on this adapter will not be initialized.
                  For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I looked for it on microsoft website and found :
                  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc727738.aspx

I did each one of the steps but without any success.

Any ideas how to continue from here??

Comment

I don't quite get it... First, you say
                    I didn't want to install those machine the "right" way... using hp smart start disk
                    and then you say
                    At the begining i used the latest hp support pack
                    You say you're using RIS to install the servers. I hope that you understand that, given the fact that this problem is on all 20 servers, something is wrong with the image... or with the method.
                    How was that first image created? On an DL360G5 server, installed with PSP7.91 SmartStart disk? What is the situation on the Master machine (the one that was used to create the image on)? You have the problem there too?
                    I also looked for the event you mentioned, and found other solution. Notice that in this article you are supposed to uninstall/reinstall the TCP/IP protocol, not only to enable/disable it... I would try this too...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Not that its impossible to uninstall/install TCP/IP on Windows XP, 2003 or later.
                      But you can reset the TCP/IP stack as if it was re-installed using this method:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317518/en-us

This usually fixes most issues like this.

If imaging Windows 2003, make sure you use Sysprep from the deploy.cab file from a Windows 2003 CD (do not use the XP version).

Comment

Originally posted by pjhutch View Post
                        its impossible to uninstall/install TCP/IP on Windows XP, 2003 or later.
                        You are right, my post wasn't clear enough.
                        TheTCP/IP component itself cannot be uninstalled. The Client for Microsoft Networks depends on it. But, the client itself can be uninstalled. Together with it, all the other components will be uninstalled too, among them is the TCP/IP (the other are File and Print Sharing and the QoS - if they are installed in the first place).
                        I would concentrate of prevent this phenomenon from happening in the first place than to try and fix it later...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

great minds think alike Sorin

tprizler, to reinstall 20 machines using smartstart shouldn't be an issue, a little project for a days' work really.

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
                            great minds think alike Sorin
                            OK, I see you... Who's the other one ?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

it's myself, I'm a gemini, see?

but seriously, the issue is known with brandname servers and bcom NICs

Comment

Working...
                              X