Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roaming Profiles - why would it be wrong?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming Profiles - why would it be wrong?

1) Why would it be wrong to make my local profile (C:/documents and settings/username) as my roaming profile under 'Profile Path?'

A lot of the stuff I found on the web indicate that I should create a seperate folder and place the roaming profiles in that folder......why?

2) Do I need Active Directory to use Folder Redirect?

thanks for help

Re: Roaming Profiles - why would it be wrong?

I guess because C:\documents and settings\username is just on the machine your currently sat at. You wouldn't need to configure roaming profiles if you wanted the above path, as by default that is where everyone's profile is stored anyway

The idea of roaming profiles is your settings are stored on a share which can be accessed from any PC on your network. That way no mater where you sit you will always get the same personal settings.

No you don't need AD. Although if your building a network and have access to a Windows Server, you would be quite daft not to make use of AD.
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post
      2) Do I need Active Directory to use Folder Redirect?
      SK is right sir..
      as for no.2 question you dont need active directory. You can create a share in your server and just right click for example My documents in a client computer and go to properties, change the target folder location.
      ex. UNC is \\server\Share\etc...
      Thing is you also have to configure permissions.
      In the end i think you will need to install AD..
      Ronuel
      MCP
      There is only one way to find Out..Its to try it and/or Do it...

Comment

Why do I not see folder redirect under User Configuration| Windows Settings under Group Policy????

Do I need to have domain instead of workgroup?

Comment

I have no idea. I haven't used a Workgroup since I was home networking with Windows 95. Domains are a much easier way of managing a network.
          Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by HotDay2222 View Post
            Why do I not see folder redirect under User Configuration| Windows Settings under Group Policy????

Do I need to have domain instead of workgroup?
            You cannot deploy Group Policy in a workgroup... you can only set local policy on each individual machine. A lot of the settings applicable to domains simply are not present when a domain doesn't exist; like for instance folder redirection which redirects folders to (usually) a file server. This setting's whole purpose relies on centralised authentication and authorisation and it simply wouldn't work in a workgroup environment.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
            X