Upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade

I have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server domain with 5 servers. I have file server, DC, DNS,DHCP,Exchange Server and want to upgrade to Windows 2003 Server.

I want to use Windows 2003 Standard Edition as we have recieved it for free.

Do I just install the 2003 on each unit and do an upgrade? I hate to loose my Active Directory and recreate the domain. That would be bad.

RC

Re: Upgrade

I want to use Windows 2003 Standard Edition as we have recieved it for free.
    So the W2K3 you got for free is a volume license agreement or Enterprise agreement license? Otherwise you will only be able to install W2K3 on 1 server.

You should be able to upgrade, although with any major change, standard practice is to back up ALL servers before you do anything. That way you can roll back if it all goes pear shaped.

Comment

Originally posted by mobius2011 View Post
      So the W2K3 you got for free is a volume license agreement or Enterprise agreement license? Otherwise you will only be able to install W2K3 on 1 server.

You should be able to upgrade, although with any major change, standard practice is to back up ALL servers before you do anything. That way you can roll back if it all goes pear shaped.
      What is the difference in a Volume or Enterprise agreement?

Comment

Originally posted by mobius2011 View Post

Forgot the second part of the question: Since I have 5 CD's in the box, I would assuem that would be 1 CD to install per unit...right?

The reason for my concern is that I had read on blogs (non official sources) that Windows 2000 Advanced server wont take WIndows 2003 Standard.

Comment

Check what is on the CDs. Windows Server 2003 R2 64bit version has 5 CDs which gives you just one install. Check the licencing. It may be free but you still need to comply with the licencing.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Check what is on the CDs. Windows Server 2003 R2 64bit version has 5 CDs which gives you just one install. Check the licencing. It may be free but you still need to comply with the licencing.
            I checked and this is Windows 2003 Server R2 Win32. I put the CD in and did the compatibility check and the system said that I could not upgrade from Windows 2000 Advanced Server to Windows 2003 Standard Server.

Guess I will have to dump the entire domain and start from scratch.
            Last edited by medic 66; 25th September 2008, 01:47.

Comment

I bet this is going to turn out bad for me.........

Comment

You don't have to dump the entire domain. Just install a temporary DC to take over while you build (rebuild) the current server.

Comment

Originally posted by medic 66 View Post
                  I bet this is going to turn out bad for me.........
                  This will turn out good. You will be getting something that money (almost) can't buy and that is experience. Look at this as a learning opportunity.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    You don't have to dump the entire domain. Just install a temporary DC to take over while you build (rebuild) the current server.
                    I have an extra unit that I could throw into server. I should put 2000 Advanced Server on this one...right?

the current server01 that was the first on that I brought on line has my DNS and DHCP...I know that needs setup on the other one...

What else needs done to let it "take over".....

Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                      This will turn out good. You will be getting something that money (almost) can't buy and that is experience. Look at this as a learning opportunity.
                      That is very true....I agree to that.

Comment

You could also consider a Virtual Server setup to move the 2000 Advanced to. Just need a mahine that has a bit a RAM that can handle the Guest and Host O/S.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325379 - Nice bit of reading for you.

http://www.petri.com and use the Search function to look methods about adding servers (DCPROMO) to a domain. Sorry I can't do this at the moment as I keep timing out.

With very little info about your setup it is hard to provide advice on what you should do.

Are all 5 present servers Windows 2000 Advanced Servers?
                        How big is the organisation/Network you are running? Is there really a need for 5 Servers?
                        How many users do you have in AD?
                        Do you have the CALS for Server 2003.
                        Server 2003 is over 5 years old, it may be worth considering Server 2008 (yes I know 2003 was free but you are replacing older technology with old technology).
                        What are the hardware specifications of the servers you are installing Server 2003 onto?
                        Are you still going to be running Exchange?
                        What version of Exchange do you have? If Exchange 2000 and you are upgrading to Exchange 2003 then do you have the Exchange 2003 CALs?

Starting to look messy eh. BEFORE stating anything, make sure you plan what you want to do and document it. I have seen so many techs do something like this on the fly and then forget what stage they are up to when something goes wrong and they get distracted. This is not a job that you can decide to do today and then start the process tomorrow.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X