Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining Who has a file opened on a network

What I'm trying to do?
    Determine who exactly has the file opened in the share. (I have the path and filename).
    Note
    ---> I already know about Winfile but most of our workstations are XP
    ---> Hyena would do the job, but it's a GUI.
    ---> Openfiles will not work on older workstations.
    Why am I trying do it?
    Through our software, sometimes users try to access a file on a share that is already opened by another user.
    It would be nice for us to let them know exactly who has the file opened (or at the very least the workstation)
    We would need something that could be called from a window's host command or something in the like.

Everything I researched so far seems to be stand alone apps...
    I'm looking for something that is either built into Windows or something that could return the information based on a function call.

We use Oracle (8i,9i) Back End and Forms 6i Client/Server. (yes I know, it's old and we're planning to move on soon
    I've searched on MS knowlege base and a few other forums but haven't found anything yet.

One point is that some users are not admins. They are all on domain accounts and all have access to the share.
    I have the path and filename.
    Is there anyway to find out who on the network has a file from the worksation?
    So far, unless I'm missing something, it seems like most of the programs are to be run by someone with Admin rights and from the actual server where the share is on.

Ideas anybody?

PS: I am not interested in closing the file for now... Just a simple way of telling a who currently has it opened.

Thanks all.

Re: Determining Who has a file opened on a network

on the server which the Shares are located , go to "Computer Management -> Shared Folders -> Open Files" you can even close an open file if it is locked by right clicking on the file/folder and choosing "All Tasks -> Close Open file"

Comment

Thanks for your reply and I understand what you are saying...

The problem is....

I need to be able to find out from the workstation side, not the server.

Example....

say we have server "A"
      and we have workstation "B"
      and we have workstation "C"
      and we have workstation "D"

Server "A" has a share both accessible by "B","C" and "D"....
      Workstation "B" opens a file called "test.doc" on server "A".
      Workstation "C" comes along and tries to open the same "test.doc" file on Server "A". (from the same share)

I there anyway for workstation "C" to know that it's workstation "A" that has the file opened and not workstation "D"?

Your suggestion implies that you are logged on the server which is not what I'm looking for. (I image you would also need Admin privs).

My appologies if my initial post did not illustrate the problem correctly. Hope this one is clearer.

Comment

Try this then File Mon.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb896642.aspx

Comment

I just read the article and it says you must have Admin privilidges. On top of that, it does look like you need to run this from the server where the share is on...

Again, here is my challenge:

1- Must be able to run from a workstation (client) on the network. NOT off the server where the share is on.
          2- Must be able to run this "utility" or "windows host command" or whatever you think the solution is... with a domain account that doesn't necessarily have admin priviliges but having said that has write permissions to the given share.
          3- Cannot be a GUI. I must be able to call this app/utility and get my answer either through a function call or something in the like.

As per my previous post, I took out the complexity of having to incorporate it in our software.

Is it possible to determine who has a document open on a share from a workstation or am I dreaming and all of that needs to be done from the server?

Comment

Open an MMC console on the workstation wanting to view the open files & choose the computer management snap in. Then browse to the server/pc that you will be able to see the open shares on.

Give read permissions to the other workstaions to access the computer management on the server.

Comment

Working...
            X