Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2k3 pro to std

Hi,

We have a situation. We have accidentally installed W2k3 pro and the server is on production now. Just realized that the server was licensed for standard edition.

Can someone please advise me if there is any way or process to downgrade to std without formatting?

Thanks,

Regards.

Re: W2k3 pro to std

I don't believe I have heard of Windows Server 2003 Professional. I have heard of Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter, Web Edition.... but never Professional.

Are you sure?

When you right-click "My Computer" and select "Properties", what operating system is reported on the General tab?

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Sorry my bad. It is Enterprise. Thanks.

Comment

A re-install is your only option. Whilst there are only a "few" differences I doubt there would be a safe way to do it even if someone had managed it. In production it would be even less safe.
        Maybe we can help you with your re-install instead?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Hi Andy,

Thanks for you feedback I have tried it.

I rebooted the machine of the W2k3 std CD hoping I could press "r" to repair and on the process OS will get downgraded. Unfortunately the installation doesn't detect there is an OS(W2k ent) already installed. So no option to repair except to format.

Comment

Well that may be because it requires the RAID drivers as I think it should show the OS. A repair may not actually be allowed with an incorrect CD though.
            What is on there that might cause a problem with a reload? AD is simple to sort for example. (sorry, simple-ish!)
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

It definitely cannot be RAID drivers as I can see the hard disk. It just doesn't give me any option for repair. All I can do is just format.

Comment

Fair enough if you are sure it doesn't need drivers then I will go with what you say.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Working...
                X