Netlogon folder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netlogon folder

I cannot access to netlogon folder, the error is : the network named cannot be found.

When I check \\mydc\sysvol\mydomain\ I can see olny the following folders:

DO_NOT_REMOVE_NtFrs_PreInstall_Directory
    Policies

Missing scripts folder

how can I fix that

Thank You
    MCSE 2003

Re: Netlogon foler

Originally posted by elyounsi View Post
    I cannot access to netlogon folder, the error is : the network named cannot be found.

When I check \\mydc\sysvol\mydomain\ I can see olny the following folders:

DO_NOT_REMOVE_NtFrs_PreInstall_Directory
    Policies

Missing scripts folder

how can I fix that

Thank You

Restore it from backup.

Comment

NO NO NO, do not restore from backup, not that fast any way.
      how many DCs have you got?
      if you got more then one it seems you might have some FRS replication issues.
      do all DCs have the same problem?

please post the errors in the event log of both DCs under the "File Replication Service" section/tab.

Comment

Originally posted by Akila View Post
        NO NO NO, do not restore from backup, not that fast any way.
        how many DCs have you got?
        if you got more then one it seems you might have some FRS replication issues.
        do all DCs have the same problem?

please post the errors in the event log of both DCs under the "File Replication Service" section/tab.
        Why not restore it from backup???

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc757048.aspx

Comment

b/c there is no need to restore from back up if the problem is in the replication and it would do no good, just would create more confusion in the FRS engine having more then one version of files/folders which would result in Morph folders.
          1st - fix replication problem.
          2nd - if the SYSVOL data is old or not valid , then go for Restore, not the other way arround.

Comment

b/c there is no need to restore from back up if the problem is in the replication and it would do no good, just would create more confusion in the FRS engine having more then one version of files/folders which would result in Morph folders.
            1st - fix replication problem.
            2nd - if the SYSVOL data is old or not valid , then go for Restore, not the other way arround.
            1. If there is a replication problem. The OP never mentioned any other DC's so i'm assuming that there are none. We have restored the SYSVOL folder from a backup and we have around 9 sites with multiple domian controllers.

2. Depends on how old his backups are. We have ours doing a full SYSVOL backup every night.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              1. If there is a replication problem. The OP never mentioned any other DC's so i'm assuming that there are none.
              Assumption is the mother of all **** ups, or otherwise know as Assuming makes an ass out of you and me.
              Never assume, there for I asked about amount of DCs.
              if replication of the FRS is not working well a restore would only deteriorate the situation then helping it, FRS has a different replication engine then the classic AD replication Engine you know.

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              2. Depends on how old his backups are. We have ours doing a full SYSVOL backup every night.
              you can use whatever backup age you would like , in the end we are talking about files, no more (even if the FRS Jet Engine is damaged, there are ways to fix it with whatever files age you would like), the only thing that might be common and related to backup age is the Policy (GPT/GPC), if one was deleted then the age of backup has an effect due to the AD object that was deleted and not the Files in the SYSVOL itself. Again SYSVOL/FRS has a different concept then AD Object, it's not the same thing - at all, the only common thing between the FRS Replication and AD replication is the Replication topology/scheduling but not the replication process itself.
              Last edited by Akila; 22nd September 2008, 12:26.

Comment

I think it's wise to wait until the TS respond.
                Marcel
                Technical Consultant
                Netherlands
                http://www.phetios.com
                http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Assumption is the mother of all **** ups, or otherwise know as Assuming makes an ass out of you and me.
                  Never assume, there for I asked about amount of DCs.
                  if replication of the FRS is not working well a restore would only deteriorate the situation then helping it, FRS has a different replication engine then the classic AD replication Engine you know.
                  Isn't it just. We haven't had a reply so we can only wait and see what the OP say's.

Oh and BTW i do know FRS has a different engine

you can use whatever backup age you would like , in the end we are talking about files, no more (even if the FRS Jet Engine is damaged, there are ways to fis it with whatever files age you would like), the only thing that might be common and related to backup age is the Policy (GPT/GPC), if one was deleted then the age of backup has an effect due to the AD object that was deleted and not the Files in the SYSVOL itself. Again SYSVOL/FRS has a different concept then AD Object, it's not the same at all, the only thing in common between the FRS Replication and AD replication is the Replication topology/scheduling but not the replication process itself.
                  Again your trying to teach granny how to suck eggs bud. I know all this.

I posted my answer as the OP gave very little information about his/her site/s. I answered because that is all that is required to get the files back.

Your assumption is that the SYSVOL is changing constantly in this users enviornment. We have around 9 sites with multiple DC's and had the SYSVOL folder deleted by a consultant. Stopped the FRS service and restored the files from backup and voila SYSVOL was back from the previous nights backup. Our SYSVOL has very little changes, if any, made to it now. In the early days while we were setting up it changed daily for about a week.

Comment

Re: Netlogon folder

sorry if I sounded like I tried teaching you something or to harsh , it was not meant that way in any way.
                    any way in your situation you describing on your systems - YES , a restore was needed since it was deleted.
                    but in OP case we have no History of what happened, therefore we should not jump into conclusion that is was deleted.

elyounsi - More Info on the case would be nice.

elyounsi - it seems you went rogue

Comment

Working...
                    X