Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying host records on all desktops on a domain

Hi All,
    From time to time our web developers setup test site and request me to update the host records on all the desktops.

Being a setup consisting of a mix of 50 desktops & laptops, I normally connect remotely to each machine and update the host record.

I have been lately trying to make the following update on the host records

10.30.20.20 release.finda.co.nz
    10.30.20.20 release.apnfindaservices.co.nz
    10.30.20.20 release.wises.co.nz
    10.30.20.20 release.ubd.co.nz
    10.30.20.20 release.apndata.co.nz

How are these done in organization having large number of desktops and laptops ?

I am expecting such modifications are done by making appropriate entries on the DNS Server on the Domain Controller. While searching the net , I could figure out that the following may be required to be done.

DNS modification

a) Create forward lookup zones on the DNS server as follows

finda.co.nz
    apnfinda.services.co.nz
    wises.co.nz
    ubd.co.nz
    apndata.co.nz

b) Then add a host record as “release” for each of the above zones.

Since I am not familiar with making DNS entries, I do not want to make any changes on the DNS without suggestion from experts on the forum.

Scripts
    The other option, I can imagine is to update the host records though login scripts.

There might be other good option that I cannot figure out, so please guide me on the best option.

My environment is Win 2003 AD domain and XP SP2 desktops and laptops.

Cheers,

Pankajb

Re: Modifying host records on all desktops on a domain

From time to time our web developers setup test site and request me to update the host records on all the desktops.

Being a setup consisting of a mix of 50 desktops & laptops, I normally connect remotely to each machine and update the host record.
    Is there a special reason they request it to be done like this? I am a little surprised that in an organisation with 50 laptops/desktops that you are playing around with host files. Sounds like a lot of adminstrative overhead to me.

Create forward lookup zones on the DNS server as follows
    Agreed. You probably just need to go into your primary forward lookup zone & create A host records for those address's. That should work fine if all clients have their dns pointing to the server you are setting the A host records up on.

The other option, I can imagine is to update the host records though login scripts.
    Crazy talk my man. Although, you can do some pretty cool things with host files.

You might need to reboot all pc's or flush dns though, if those host names are pointing to new IP's & vice versa.

Comment

I take "host record" as an A record on a DNS server for a host, not the "hosts" file.

Your request is a strange one. I would say have all hosts DDNS to one of those zones, then use dnscmd /zoneexport and /recordadd to script the entries for the other zones.

Or use a DNS proxy that will translate queries for one zone to another.

Comment

Hi,
        Many thanks for your opinion.

mobius2011 quoted:
        Is there a special reason they request it to be done like this? I am a little surprised that in an organisation with 50 laptops/desktops that you are playing around with host files. Sounds like a lot of adminstrative overhead to me.
        Actually these are our sites for our online business. Whenever there is a small add-on or modification done, it is released as a “release” and tested internally. The sales team and other staff also check the new release. Actually, by mentioning time to time is a bit of exaggeration as this happens may be once in a few months.

mobius2011 quoted:
        Agreed. You probably just need to go into your primary forward lookup zone & create A host records for those address's. That should work fine if all clients have their dns pointing to the server you are setting the A host records up on.
        Our DNS is AD integrated and all clients log into the domain. So, as per your opinion if I setup a new zones as below

finda.co.nz
        apnfinda.services.co.nz
        wises.co.nz
        ubd.co.nz
        apndata.co.nz

and setup an A record as “release” it should work.

I would give it a try.

Could someone give me an example where we use CNAME.

Meekrobe quoted:

Your request is a strange one. I would say have all hosts DDNS to one of those zones, then use dnscmd /zoneexport and /recordadd to script the entries for the other zones.

Or use a DNS proxy that will translate queries for one zone to another.
        Sorry, I am not at all familiar with DNS configuration and hence could not understand your suggestion.

I will try to google and find out some information on what you have mentioned. Appreciate if you could also provide me few useful links.

Comment

Working...
        X