Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• server 2003 r2 with linksys router

hello,
    Im currently trying to set up a linksys router model WRT310N with windows server 2003 r2. My modem is pluged into the router and then from the router to the switch from the switch to the server. I want the server to run the dns and possibly the DHCP as well.

Re: server 2003 r2 with linksys router

And your question is?????
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

How would i go about setting that up? Would i enable DHCP on teh router? what should i make the ip of the router?

Comment

My network is configured slightly differently to yours - no modem, and I only use one NIC on the servers. However, I would run DHCP from the server, especially if you have Active Directory installed. You can assign any address you like to the router. So long as the relevant devices know that address, it really does not matter.

My network:

Network Access: Clients > Switch > Servers (192.168.0.2 + 192.168.0.5)

Internet Access: Clients > Switch > Router (192.168.0.95)

nternet Access: Servers > Switch > Router

Client IP config:
        DNS, DHCP, WINS adresses = Servers
        Gateway address = router
        Last edited by Blood; 14th September 2008, 08:42. Reason: Clarity
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I currently have the router set up as 192.168.0.254 I set the client computer to staic ip as IP192.168.0.222 subnet255.255.255.0 gateway192.168.0.254 DNS192.168.0.254 I get an internet connection that way. The server is ip192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.254 dns 192.168.0.254 and i get am internet cconnection. when i change the dns and gateway to 192.168.0.1 on both the server and client computers i get no internet connecton. I also have the dhcp turned off on the router.

Comment

when i change the dns and gateway to 192.168.0.1 on both the server and client computers i get no internet connecton.
            Does your 2003 server have a dns server installed with a forwarder pointing to the router?

Comment

Originally posted by rikmyr View Post
              I currently have the router set up as 192.168.0.254 I set the client computer to staic ip as IP192.168.0.222 subnet255.255.255.0 gateway192.168.0.254 DNS192.168.0.254 I get an internet connection that way. The server is ip192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.0.254 dns 192.168.0.254 and i get am internet cconnection. when i change the dns and gateway to 192.168.0.1 on both the server and client computers i get no internet connecton. I also have the dhcp turned off on the router.
              If you have a DN server setup on 192.168.0.1 and you intend to run DHCP as well - setup DHCP on the 192.168.0.1 server as well.

If you intend to give your clients static IP addresses you do not need DHCP.

The router is your (Internet) gateway.

Therefore, when configuring your clients:

DNS server = 192.168.0.1
              Gateway = 192.168.0.254

If you setup DHCP on the router, you can cofigure the DHCP options to automatically configure each client with the DNS and Gateway options, so there no need to specify DNS servers on the clients.

The DNS server will handle all DNS requests for your network. Anything not handled by the DNS server (i.e. Internet addresses) are passed onto the gateway.

Comment

I keep the desktops cofiged for static and the laptops use a wireless accesspoint that i need dhcp for.

Comment

ok i set teh gateway as .254 and dns as .1 when i go to connect a computer to the dns it says it cannot find the dns. do i need to forward the dns port?

Comment

ok, now with thoose settings the internet slowly dies. im not sure why but about 10 15 min after i change the dns to .1 and gateway to .254 the internet slows down untill it just doesnt work

Comment

Are you running Active Directory? Do you have a DNS Server setup?

Comment

yes, DNS and Active directory are both set up on the same server. 192.168.0.1

Comment

OK, then.

Setting up a DNS server on the DC provides name resolution for the network. Any addresses not found (Internet) are passed to the router.

I don't understand how your Internet connection can slow down until it does not work. Are the PC's joined to the domain? Are you able to ping the DC and the router?

Do you have any Internet connection software installed such as Wingate?

Comment

yes, AD is on the same server as the DNS. i just need to tell teh router smehow that there is a DNS server on teh network and the DNS server that the internet comes from teh router. im not sure how to do that.

Comment

Is the domain controller configured the same as the client? Does it also point to itself for DNS and 254 for the gateway?

Are all the PC's and the router registered in DNS?

Comment

Working...
                              X