X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i install 2003 active with out chang my router

Hi
    I have question?

I have an workgroup of 30 users and now I what to add a2003 server with active directory and backup tape
    And I want them to logon to the domain. my problem is all the computer get the Ip's from the router he is the dhcp
    I donít want to change that I just want them to log my domain but still surf thru the router
    How can I do it ??
    When I install Active will he recognize the DNS and the dhcp of I will need to install them too..

Thanks
    Eyal

Eyal,

Usually when you install AD the DCPROMO wizard will also install DNS, unless you've configured it before running the wizard. In order for the client computers to log on to the domain they need to use that DNS, and not the DNS of the ISP. Therefore, you can have the router as a DHCP, but you must configure it to give the DNS of the Win2003 DNS to the clients, and NOT the DNS of the ISP.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

my problem is i configure the dns in the 2003 server and the computers are register to the domain and surfing out thru the router

but still when i doing nslookup or ping -a it didnt show the name of the server

i put in the client dns primry the server and secundery the router

Comment

wow,

one moment..
        how did you configured you're dns server ?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

well i gave to the server static ip
          then i run dcpromo during the istalation he didnt find an dns so he create it . with no errors
          in the client i put the dns of the server and secondery the dns of the router
          so they still surf thru the router (i meen he still act as dhcp with dns)
          and they can see the domain too

but the domain dosent do eny resolution if i try with ping or nslookup

Comment

Some more info is required:
            • 1) Do you have a zone in the DNS with the name of your domain?

2) What is the name of your domain?

3) Did you configure your DNS to forward queries to the ISP's DNS?

4) Do you have a reverse lookup zone?

5) Does your zone (see answ. 1) have 4 sub-folders that begin with "_"?
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks fo answer so quick

i have azone with my domain name
              with 4 sub folder "_"
              i dont have a reverse lookup zone

i have forward lookup zone but
              how i configure the DNS to forward queries to the ISP's DNS?

Eyal

Comment

Eyal, sorry to say so but RTFM...

You do need to do some work on your own you know, right?

http://www.petri.com/configure_dns_forwarding.htm

Windows Server 2003 is almost the same.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

i understend i read it alredy
                  but this is only to do forward to the isp dns
                  still i didnot resolve my problem that my dns server on the domain dosnt do resolving....

am i right?

Comment

No you're not right. Configure your DNS to forward to the ISP's DNS.

Next, drop the router DNS. Do not use it.

Lastly, configure all the clients to use your internal DNS, not the router DNS and not the ISP's DNS.

If your DNS cannot resolve, check your forwarding settings. Also check your firewall and configure it to allow UDP port 53 traffic from the IP of the internal DNS to and from the IP of the ISP's DNS.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

You could just set your forwarder to the router's DNS, then you don't need to open up the firewall, which is always a good thing.

The bad thing is it's one extra step to troubleshoot, should you have problems in the future.
                      * Shamelessly mentioning "Don't forget to add reputation!"

Comment

Working...
                      X