Setting Permissions via Computer Object

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting Permissions via Computer Object

I am looking to setup a 2k3 print server in my organization. We currently have a 2k3 domain. Normally, when setting up a share we would define the permissions on a per user basis.

Due to some of the users in my enviroment having a "generic" username, this has became an issue since we do not want to have to create more domain accounts for each users. In our areas, we will have 5-6 comptuers with 20-30 users that use the comptuers all the time. We have a total of 6 areas on our local network with the same generic user ID.

Is there anyway to set share permissions on an object via AD computer account?

I may have not worded this right, so if you have any questions please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Re: Setting Permissions via Computer Object

Yes but it wont work. Create user accounts.

Comment

Why won't it work? Well, because the computer account never tries to access the shared folders, that's why. The access attempt is made by the user account; and if the user account isn't in the ACL of the file, he won't get access.

Create individual user accounts and add them to groups... and put the groups on the ACLs of the folder. Sure it's a pain for them to log in and out all the time - but they'll either get used to it or they'll come up with a new business process to make the most effective use of the new regime. Users do that.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

"I am looking to setup a 2k3 print server in my organization."
        are you talking about setting up printer shares ?????
        If yes you can do what your asking, if you mean file shares as below not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by hazey View Post
          "I am looking to setup a 2k3 print server in my organization."
          are you talking about setting up printer shares ?????
          If yes you can do what your asking, if you mean file shares as below not possible.
          Please explain? Attempts to print are still done by the USER object, NOT the computer.

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            Please explain? Attempts to print are still done by the USER object, NOT the computer.
            Correct but........ you could always deploy the required printers to the computers (using a GPO) then prevent the user's in question from adding additional printers (using a GPO), this would effectively control access to the printer's share based on computer name not user name.

Comment

Working...
            X