No announcement yet.

Deploying service packs using Group Policies.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deploying service packs using Group Policies.

Are your able to deploy service packs using group policies? I have read where it says you use scripts to deploy service packs and other places it says we can use update.msi

Eg. I have a Servers OU and want to deploy the latest service pack to all servers within the OU. Would I create a a GPO and link it to the OU and the under computer config assign the update.msi and restart the servers or would I create a batch file that runs the update.exe file and create a GPO and link it to the OU then modify computer config of the GPO to run script on startup and restart each server.

Can someone clear this up for me.

Thanks in advance.

Create a GPO, link it to the appropriate OU. Open Software Installation under the computer configuration and create a new deployment using the assign option (use update.msi). Restart the servers and as they start up the SP will be installed.
    Eli Leibzon

Another alternative would be using SUS server. About couple of months ago Microsoft started supporting service packs deployment through SUS.
      Basically you install a SUS server, sync it, approve the hotfixes and SPs you want to deploy and configure the clients to point to the SUS server using the SUS administrative template. The caviat is that the client has to be at least W2K SP3. Using SUS you can schedule the updates deployment.
      The cons are that you do not have the granularity and filtering ability the IntelliMirror supplies.

Personally, I deploy SPs using GPO and hotfixes using SUS.
      Guy Teverovsky
      "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"