Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 2000 dns problem

Hello,

I have a 2k domain named domainname.org.1 I would like to add a 2k3 DC.
    The problem is that when I do a ping to the dc on the domain I get a host not found(not using netbois for testing). However nslookup works. I can take the same server and put it on another domain and the ping works fine.
    I am using wireshark to analyze the traffic and I don't see where the ping dns request is generated. I do see the nslookup.
    I have checked everything I can think of but no answer.

I have tried the same with a xp workstation and I get the same result, I can ping in other domains with NETBios disabled but I can’t ping this particular domain.

Any help would be appretiated.

Thank you very much. I am stumped.
    Scoobydog
    Last edited by scoobydog; 7th September 2008, 18:24. Reason: not complete

Re: windows 2000 dns problem

Is it Windows Server 2003 or Windows Server 2003 R2 that you are trying to add as a DC? If R2, then run ADPREP that is on Disk 2 of the R2 set, on the Windows 2000 Server DC.

If not R2 being added, post back with more info about your setup. Ta.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I am not going to use R2 I did run adprep and it ran fine. Because of the DNS issue I cannot dc promo the 2k3 box.
      My current setup.
      It is a windows 2000 domain named dominaname.org.1 netbios name agency
      I added a third windows 2000 dc on a virtual machine and removed it. I sized all the FSMO roles and made it the global catalog. I did this so I can test any and all solutions without affecting users and the domain. I did clean up the live domain of the virtual dc.
      SO as you can see I can add 2000 as a dc but 2003 fails the dcpromo due to DNS issues.
      The dcdiag /v only gives the error that it cannot resolve the GUID._msdcs.domianname.org.1. However nslookup works on every query that I have done for different records.
      thank you for any help.

Scoobydog
      Last edited by scoobydog; 8th September 2008, 11:08.

Comment

Just in case that I have offended anyone in this forum I apologize. Please let me know if I did, so I donít do it again.
        I really need help I have to make this happen (adding a 2k3 DC to this 2k domain).
        This is what else I have done.
        I have added a windows 2k workstation to the net and that machine does generate a standard dns request for local host names. XP will generate a NetBios request but not a DNS request for local host names i.e the name of the DC. XP will generate a dns request for something like yahoo.

Thank you,
        Scoobydog

Comment

please run netdiag en dcdiag on the domain controllers.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thank you,
            Here is the dcdiag /v and netdiag /v this is a server we added and removed from this from the live domain. I seized all FSMO roles to this server once removed and I cleaned up any instance of this dc on the live domain. SO now I have a duplicate domain to use to test and resolve the issues.

See attached.
            Thank you,
            Scoobydog
            Attached Files

Comment

well at least you have some replication errors.
              How about the netdiag?
              Marcel
              Technical Consultant
              Netherlands

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE

Comment

netdiag is at the bottom of the text file. The replication errors are because the other servers are not in the test environment. Amongst the 2k dcís a the live site there were no errors. Active directory and sysvol replicate fine. It just that somehow the domain is telling the machines XP and up to send a Netbios request instead of dns.
                At the win2k level everything works fine(servers and workstations).

Thank you,
                Marley

Comment

nope, netdiag is not in their..
                  Can you also post an ipconfig /all of a working client and a client which doens't work?

Because I don't really understand what the problem is and how your setup looks like.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands

Comment

Sorry about that.
                    Here are the files.
                    2k3 not working
                    2kdc domain controller
                    2kworkst working station win2k

Thank you,
                    Scoobydog
                    Attached Files

Comment

Looking at this some more I have always wander about the .1 part of the domain name.

I tested this and this how I tested it:

1. Added a new zone in dns(domainname.org not domianname.org.1).
                      2. Added this new zone in the nicís area ďdns suffix for this connectionĒ I also checked both of the boxes for dns registration.
                      3. Added some records in this zone like the record for the dns server.
                      4. I used ping for different records in this zone and I see the DNS query in the sniffer.

If I switch back to the original suffix the ping fails. With netbios enabled I see that it does a netbios query instead of a dns query for the resolution.

The question is what is different between win2k and win2k3 in this process that it does not like the .1 part?

Is there a registry change I can make to force name resolution make a DNS query instead of a netbios?

I am not so sure MS would have the answer.
                      Also if there is no way to force this, do you know of a way to migrate users from one domain to a new one that is not too labor intensive? There are 60 users in this domain.

Scoobydog

Comment

Working...
                      X