Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 is out!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 is out!

Read more about SP1 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...1/default.mspx

Download SP1 (329 MB) here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Thanks boss!

The size of this SP is rediculous. It is only a few MB short of a full install.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I've installed it on several test machines, no glitch so far. Only warning is during the installation process, when it asks you if it can stop and restart the WINS service. Strange.

Also, make sure you do NOT install SP1 on SBS2003!!! Wait for the SBS2003 SP1 version that is due in approx 60 days.
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Microsoft is advising SBS'03 admins NOT to install SP1 for Windows 2003 Server. There will be a special release for SBS'03 in approximately 60 days.

Some of the updates will include

- Windows Server 2003 SP1
        - Sharepoint Services SP1
        - Exchange Server 2003 SP1
        - Outlook 2003 security fixes and junk email filters
        - SQL Server 2003 SP4

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 32-bit Support Tools

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 32-bit Deployment Tools
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Windows Update

FWIW, if you run windows update on SBS, it will not display the service pack. So lazy admins () who use WU instead of going directly to a download link will OK.

Proven e-Commerce Solutions
          340 N. 12th St.
          Suite 200
          Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Re: Windows Update

Originally posted by LincFu
            FWIW, if you run windows update on SBS, it will not display the service pack. So lazy admins () who use WU instead of going directly to a download link will OK.
            The problem with this is that its not uncommon for an update to not show up on WU for a few days after an official release. Sooo, if you want to be patched immediately you often are forced to download updates manually.
            Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Its even showed up on my SUS list of items to approve! That was quick!
              Server 2000 MCP
              Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

Comment

The problem with this is that its not uncommon for an update to not show up on WU for a few days after an official release. Sooo, if you want to be patched immediately you often are forced to download updates manually.
                I'm well aware of this which is why I subscribe to certain mailing lists like bugtraq and NTbugtraq as well as using RSS feeds from MSDN. All this because WU is notoriously unreliable.

I just thought I'd point out some interesting behaviour. I ran WU on my 2003 Enterprise edition server and it displayed the update (although I downloaded it manually in order to do multiple installs). Out of curiosity I ran WU on my SBS server and it did not show the update.

Still many thanks to the forum for the heads up. I would have followed the download link and upgraded my SBS server right away had I not known.

340 N. 12th St.
                Suite 200
                Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Another good idea might be to add a sticky or announcement reiterrating the fact that this should not be installed on SBS? Probably also let ppl know there's a specific version for SBS forthcoming.

*edit*
                  I meant that something should be added to the SBS forum. not 2 stickies in the same forum.

340 N. 12th St.
                  Suite 200
                  Philadelphia PA 19107

Comment

Yes, there is a separate thread on SP1 problems. We should use that one.

Thanks for the info though.
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
                      Also, make sure you do NOT install SP1 on SBS2003!!! Wait for the SBS2003 SP1 version that is due in approx 60 days.
                      Now I know why I check here first! Thanks for that warning.

Comment

Working...
                      X