No announcement yet.

Unusual Password Error in 2000 to 2003 Migration

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Password Error in 2000 to 2003 Migration

I'm looking for some advice regarding an error encountered during our migration from an SBS2000 domain controller to a Server 2003 DC (Not SBS)

After joining the machine to the domain, running the appropriate ADPREP on the SBS2000 machine and running DCPromo on the 2003 machine, everything seems to check out OK. The AD is replicating successfully between the two servers and all is well...except that I can't log on locally to the new server with the domain administrator's password. I can however, log on remotely. There is a profile on the machine for that user.

After changing the security policy to log logon failures I find that trying to logon gives me an eventID 675 failure code 0x18 which is a Kerberos error indicating a bad password. Having tried this several times, I am certain that the password is correct.

Any ideas?

Re: Unusual Password Error in 2000 to 2003 Migration

Please ignore this post. It's really very straightforward although I've been scratching my head over it for two days now.

The problem is that on a new installation of windows 2003 it installs a US keyboard. My password has a # symbol which on a UK keyboard is to the left of the Return key. Using shift-3 gives me the correct password and allows the login. This also explains why it works remotely from a UK keyboard configured workstation. Doh!

Re: Unusual Password Error in 2000 to 2003 Migration

I've made the same mistakes multiple times.
      I'm used to the US keyboards but if I has configured the dutch keyboard I'm lost either
      Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"