Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote Desktop User problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Remote Desktop User problems

    I have given the deputy at our school access to the 2003 Server using Remote Desktop. Logging in is fine, but any applications that are shared from the server itself, won't work. These are things like Timetable apps etc which appear as shared drives. The error is that the file cannot be found or the user does not have permission to access them. I'm guessing that this is to do with the sharing set up of each application, since she can open Word, which is installed as a normal local application on the server. What can I do about this and follow best practice? Thanks very much for your time - it's much appreciated.

  • #2
    Re: Remote Desktop User problems

    I'm a bit confused by the terminology "any applications that are shared from the server itself, won't work." What do you mean by an application being "shared from the server"? I can think of two possible scenarios. Either you mean that the server itself has an application on it that is in a folder which is then shared out to folks on the network who double-click and launch it. The other possibility that comes to my mind is that the app is installed on another computer somewhere which has a shared folder that folks navigate to and double-click to launch. Or have I missed a third possibility?

    Important question: If you physically log on to the server that the deputy is remoting into, will those apps launch correctly? Try having your deputy run remote desktop using the console session ( "mstsc /console"). Of course, doing that will boot out anyone physically at the machine which includes any KVM over IP that you may be using.
    Wesley David
    LinkedIn | Careers 2.0
    -------------------------------
    Microsoft Certifications: MCSE 2003 | MCSA:Messaging 2003 | MCITP:EA, SA, EST | MCTS: a'plenty | MCDST
    Vendor Neutral Certifications: CWNA
    Blog: www.TheNubbyAdmin.com || Twitter: @Nonapeptide || GTalk, Reader and Google+: [email protected] || Skype: Wesley.Nonapeptide
    Goofy kitten avatar photo from Troy Snow: flickr.com/photos/troysnow/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Remote Desktop User problems

      Originally posted by pksupport View Post
      I have given the deputy at our school access to the 2003 Server using Remote Desktop. Logging in is fine, but any applications that are shared from the server itself, won't work. These are things like Timetable apps etc which appear as shared drives. The error is that the file cannot be found or the user does not have permission to access them. I'm guessing that this is to do with the sharing set up of each application, since she can open Word, which is installed as a normal local application on the server. What can I do about this and follow best practice? Thanks very much for your time - it's much appreciated.
      Is the server configured as a Terminal Services Server, or are you using Remote Desktop for Administration (maximum 2 sessions plus the console) to run these applications? Applications will not run in "Shared" mode using Remote Desktop for Administration, and may crash if more than one instance is opened at once. I know for a fact that installing Word on a server and then having users log in to use it over an RDA session is a violation of your licensing agreement and not supported.

      If I have understood you correctly, you need to purchase Terminal Services licenses, you need to uninstall your apps, install terminal services, put terminal services into App Install Mode, install your apps, then put terminal services into normal mode. You will then have as many sessions on the server as you bought licenses for. Once that is done (if it is not done already), and if they're still not working, you can come back and describe how these apps SHOULD work so that we can tell you what might be wrong with them.


      Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

      Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Remote Desktop User problems

        Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        If I have understood you correctly, you need to purchase Terminal Services licenses, you need to uninstall your apps, install terminal services, put terminal services into App Install Mode, install your apps, then put terminal services into normal mode. You will then have as many sessions on the server as you bought licenses for. Once that is done (if it is not done already), and if they're still not working, you can come back and describe how these apps SHOULD work so that we can tell you what might be wrong with them.
        I'm sorry; I have no experience with Terminal Server, but the answer is : yes, the school has just received 50 CALS which I have activated on another server (just a standalone domain member, fresh install of w2003). Whilst waiting for the serial number, I was trying to see if the user could connect via mstsc and run apps. These apps are simply installs, in folders, which are then shared on the network. So if I understand you correctly, if TS is running correctly and these apps are re-installed as you describe, then all should be OK.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Remote Desktop User problems

          Yes, you'll be OK... but if the folder is shared on the network and the user runs the app from their workstation desktop by double-clicking a shortcut to the shared EXE, why do you need Terminal Services? *confused*


          Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

          Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Remote Desktop User problems

            Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
            Yes, you'll be OK... but if the folder is shared on the network and the user runs the app from their workstation desktop by double-clicking a shortcut to the shared EXE, why do you need Terminal Services? *confused*
            I am setting up TS so users can access their work from home. "Work" happens to be a public school and access to the school server is through a secure web portal. Users apply to have a link to the server added to the web portal. When they click this link, it runs an Activex plug-in and then through the browser they are presented with the log-in screen of the school PDC.

            I have activated the CALS on the Terminal Server and the PDC sees it. I have installed a program in TS mode on the TS. But here, I am really confused. The docs say that a terminal server is best set up as I have done - ie: not on the DC, because it uses resources. But are users logging in to the TS; or the PDC? Is it that they log in to the PDC (which is currently allowed for 2 concurrent connections) and it sees the TS with it's 50 CALS and opens the programs required from there? This would all make sense if TS was on the PDC because I'd be able to grasp it.

            I just need users to be able to log in remotely and open 2 programs. Currently, using Remote Desktop for Administrators, they can't run all the programs and there are only 2 concurrent connections allowed. I really appreciate any links to docs which show a setup where there is :

            1 DC
            1 TS

            Users need to log in from home and use programs (some of which are on shared drives for users at work) Thanks for your patience - it's much appreciated.
            BTW - I am searching through web sites as we speak as I know I really need to get a grip on this . . .
            Last edited by pksupport; 10th September 2008, 03:45.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Remote Desktop User problems

              All working. Users just don't use their desktop icons, but the ones in All Programs. I had to configure the data path for a few programs but it's all good.

              Now I get it - the TS is the gateway machine - doh!

              Thanks very much.
              Last edited by pksupport; 10th September 2008, 06:06.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Remote Desktop User problems

                They're logging into the Domain - and are authenticated by the Domain Controller. They just happen to be doing it on the remote desktop of a TS.


                Tom
                For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

                Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

                Comment

                Working...
                X