Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2003 permissions

Greetings,
    I have a windows 2003 server that is a file server.
    I have a share defined with permissions: everybody <read> mycompany\hr <read,write>
    The folders look like:
    folder1 <domain users : read>, mycompany\hr <read,write>
    folder 11 (subfolder of folder1) <domain users:read>, mycompany\hr :read:write
    folder 12 <domain users:read>, mycompany\hr :read:write, mycompany\joe read:write

Problem is, when I am logged into a computer in the domain using mycompany\joe, I can see all the files/folders like I should, but I cannot copy files to folder 12. I look at effective permissions on the folder, and It says I should be able to write to them, but I get an "Access Denied".

What am I missing here ? Is the problem with the Share permissions ?
    I am stuck and need some assistance.

Re: Windows 2003 permissions

Yes the problem is with Share permissions. I'm assuming that you are "Joe" and you are NOT a member of the HR group?

When you combine share and NTFS permissions, you get the most restrictive... you are "Everyone" on the share permissions, so you get READ. NTFS permissions allow you read/write; but accessing via the share you only get READ.

Prove this by RDP'ing into the server and accessing the folder directly in Windows Explorer; you should get read/write. Or map to the admin share of that drive rather than the share you created - again you should get read/write.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Was this a double post. I swear I posted a reply to this. I wonder where it went?

Comment

Can you translate that into English.

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          Can you translate that into English.
          What?

??????

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

On another thread I asked permission type questions. This new thread was about a specific case and dealt with the interaction between share permissions and ntfs permissions.

thanks stonelaughter, I play with the share permissions.

Comment

Also, if the folders have been established for some time, and you have recently added user's accounts to the permission entries, you will need to re-apply the permissions from the Advanced tab. Sometimes these permissions will not propagate until you do that.
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
              X