No announcement yet.

Renaming a single-label domain

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming a single-label domain

Im planning on renaming my single-label domain. Im unsure as to whether I should rename it as "" or just as "domainname.local". is our internet registered domain name. Any recommendations?

Re: Renaming a single-label domain

It's been general practice in the places I've worked to keep the AD domain and external DNS domain namespaces completely separate. Some of them use their organisation name internally and some don't.

For instance you could have acme.internal.local as your internal namespace, and as your live internet namespace. This also means that internal and external DNS are hosted on different servers; and you do not need to be able to resolve external names internally except for web browsing; and your ISA boxes can do that for you as far a Internet access is concerned.

At my current job, if I type "PING" at a command prompt on my workstation, it says "HUH??" - but if I type it into a browser it works fine via the proxy. A really useful setup if you have a locked down (and thereby safe) network.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

It would be my recommendation to name it "domain.local" or "domain.internal".

Thanks. I think Ill go with domain.local.