Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remote server

greetings!

is there a way in windows 2003 server r2 to for its remote connection feature to work if its behind a router.

if not, any suggestions to remotely control the server?
    thanks.

Re: remote server

Hi

I use this feature all the time to access Remote Desktop from my home PC. I have established a VPN on the server. From home, I connect to the VPN, then use the Remote Desktop mmc to connect. The properties of the entry in the mmc are the local server address. Once the VPN connection is established, the network is available, and the remote connection works fine. However, my server is a domain controller, so I don't know how easy it would be to set the same up in a workgroup environment.

I've not used any other method for doing this, but I'm sure that others here will have some alternative, and probably simpler solutions.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by kinalas View Post
      greetings!

is there a way in windows 2003 server r2 to for its remote connection feature to work if its behind a router.

if not, any suggestions to remotely control the server?
      thanks.
      The normal approach is to forward Port 3389 from the router to the internal IP address of the server.
      From outside you connect to your public IP or dns name, and the forwarding points you to the internal IP
      What make/model is your router? Maybe someone will help you with the configuration
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        The normal approach is to forward Port 3389 from the router to the internal IP address of the server.
        From outside you connect to your public IP or dns name, and the forwarding points you to the internal IP
        What make/model is your router? Maybe someone will help you with the configuration
        This would actually be the less secure way of doing it. The secure way would be the way Blood mentioned.

Setup a server as a RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Server) and then VPN into that server. Then RDC into any machine you want within that LAN securely.

Depends how secure you want the connection to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudd View Post
          This would actually be the less secure way of doing it. The secure way would be the way Blood mentioned.

Setup a server as a RRAS (Routing and Remote Access Server) and then VPN into that server. Then RDC into any machine you want within that LAN securely.

Depends how secure you want the connection to be.
          This has come up once before and I had to argue it.

Remote Desktop can be set to use the same encryption standards used by VPNs. There's no need to deploy a VPN if you only intend to RDP to a computer.

Throwing in a VPN can even reduce security since in a basic configuration you'd open up all traffic to the private network instead of just one port.

Comment

Although I personally would choose for the VPN solution you can publish RDP over SSL.
            However opening all traffic from the VPN server is also not needed.
            You just need to configure it correctly.
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I should point out that I established the VPN primarily so that users could access our network from their home PC's. Remote desktop followed on from that. What I like about it is the fact that using the Remote Desktop mmc, I can RD to all of our servers/workstations using just the VPN.

Using port forwarding on a router, is it possible to connect to more than one server on a network? I ask because it seems to me that port forwarding will forward the 3389 to only one machine. There again, I suppose you could use remote desktop mmc on the computer you have connected to to connect to the other machines on the network, which is something I have done before.

Comment

You can change the listening port for RDP then port forward a differen't port to each server.

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
                  You can change the listening port for RDP then port forward a differen't port to each server.
                  Thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                  X