Dcpromo/active directory replication/DNS problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dcpromo/active directory replication/DNS problem

I am in the process of adding a windows sever 2003 R2 SP2 to a windows 2000 domain.
    I did not use the R2 disk so I used the adprep /forest and domain prep from disk one.
    Everything went fine I see the containers created by adprep. The DNS domain name is different than the NETBios name. When I run dcpromo I get different responses as errors mainly that it cannot manage the network session with the current domain controller.
    I did managed to have dcpromo run successfully , however sysvol does not replicate and becomes shared. In the event viewer I get “windows cannot find the computer account” I also get from FRS
    “File Replication Service is initializing the system volume with data from another domain controller. Computer OPERA-910FIMR83 cannot become a domain controller until this process is complete. The system volume will then be shared as SYSVOL.”
    And from directory service
    The attempt to establish a replication link for the following writable directory partition failed.
    Directory partition:
    DC=domain,DC=org,DC=1
    Source domain controller:
    CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DATA-SERV,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=org,DC =1
    Source domain controller address:
    e49b62f6-61c6-4f64-8ced-22ec69f6ae64._msdcs.domain.org.1
    Intersite transport (if any):
    This domain controller will be unable to replicate with the source domain controller until this problem is corrected.
    I can join a windows 2000 server with no problem. I have setup a virtual pc server 2000 on the domain averything replicated fine and removed it. I have also cleaned up the active directory to remove any traces of the virtual machine. So now I have a test environment to test solutions. I did go ahead and seize all the roles in the test environment, I have set up another virtual server 2003 and I get the same results.
    Things I have done:
    I have run dcdiag and netdiag and both report no errors on the 2000 servers. If I run it on the 2003 box I get that it cannot find the GUID._msdcs.domian.org.1 ip address. Connectivity test failed. Everything else test ok.
    DNS works fine all DC's point to the same DNS box which is the DC that holds all FSMO roles.
    On the DC's I can see the shares if I type \\GUID._msdcs.domain.org.1 how ever on the server 2003 I get path not found or could find a network provider.
    Please help.

Re: Dcpromo/active directory replication/DNS problem

Hi

You say you did not use the R2 disks. When I did this I read that you had to use adprep which came with the server OS being added to the domain.

http://www.petri.com/windows_2003_adprep.htm

HTH
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Re: Dcpromo/active directory replication/DNS problem

As I understand I only need to use disk2 Adprep if I am going to upgrade to R2. As it is I am only using windows 2003 base version. Not R2.

Marley

Comment

Working...
      X