No announcement yet.

Dcpromo/active directory replication/DNS problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dcpromo/active directory replication/DNS problem

I am in the process of adding a windows sever 2003 R2 SP2 to a windows 2000 domain.
    I did not use the R2 disk so I used the adprep /forest and domain prep from disk one.
    Everything went fine I see the containers created by adprep. The DNS domain name is different than the NETBios name. When I run dcpromo I get different responses as errors mainly that it cannot manage the network session with the current domain controller.
    I did managed to have dcpromo run successfully , however sysvol does not replicate and becomes shared. In the event viewer I get “windows cannot find the computer account” I also get from FRS
    “File Replication Service is initializing the system volume with data from another domain controller. Computer OPERA-910FIMR83 cannot become a domain controller until this process is complete. The system volume will then be shared as SYSVOL.”
    And from directory service
    The attempt to establish a replication link for the following writable directory partition failed.
    Directory partition:
    Source domain controller:
    CN=NTDS Settings,CN=DATA-SERV,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=org,DC =1
    Source domain controller address:
    Intersite transport (if any):
    This domain controller will be unable to replicate with the source domain controller until this problem is corrected.
    I can join a windows 2000 server with no problem. I have setup a virtual pc server 2000 on the domain averything replicated fine and removed it. I have also cleaned up the active directory to remove any traces of the virtual machine. So now I have a test environment to test solutions. I did go ahead and seize all the roles in the test environment, I have set up another virtual server 2003 and I get the same results.
    Things I have done:
    I have run dcdiag and netdiag and both report no errors on the 2000 servers. If I run it on the 2003 box I get that it cannot find the ip address. Connectivity test failed. Everything else test ok.
    DNS works fine all DC's point to the same DNS box which is the DC that holds all FSMO roles.
    On the DC's I can see the shares if I type \\ how ever on the server 2003 I get path not found or could find a network provider.
    Please help.

Re: Dcpromo/active directory replication/DNS problem

You say you did not use the R2 disks. When I did this I read that you had to use adprep which came with the server OS being added to the domain.

A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: Dcpromo/active directory replication/DNS problem

As I understand I only need to use disk2 Adprep if I am going to upgrade to R2. As it is I am only using windows 2003 base version. Not R2.