No announcement yet.

Kerberos Event ID 4 during attempted Outlook 2007 connection to Exchange 2007

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerberos Event ID 4 during attempted Outlook 2007 connection to Exchange 2007

I have posted this on this forum as well, as I feel that it may be a Windows 2003 server issue rather than necessarily an Exchange issue.

I have recently installed Exchange 2007 in to an Exchange 2003 organisation. I have posts open on the Exchange 2007 forum with regards to an issue, where if a user logs on to a computer for the first time with Outlook 2007 installed, they receive the Windows Logon request when autoconfiguration attempts to connect them to the 2k7 Exchange.

The user's logon credentials are not accepted, so connection to Exchange 2007 is not possible for new users and users logging on for the first time.

If a user had previously logged on to the computer and their mailbox has moved from w2k3 to w2k7 Exchange, they map ok to the 2k7 server automatically and without any prompts.

I have noticed that the below error occurs on the client machine when autoconfiguration attempts to create a user's profile.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Kerberos
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4
    Date: 30/08/2008
    Time: 12:56:31
    User: N/A
    Computer: 0075
    The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server host/mAINdc.DOMAIN.local. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named machine accounts in the target realm (DOMAIN.LOCAL), and the client realm. Please contact your system administrator.
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at

The same event has occured on two different computers. This also occurs on the same computers where other users are able to use Outlook 2007 with a mailbox on Exchange 2007.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Virtual; 31st August 2008, 13:57.

Re: Kerberos Event ID 4 during attempted Outlook 2007 connection to Exchange 2007

Double posting is a violation of the Forum's Posting Rule 2 -
    Originally posted by Posting Rule 2
    2) No double posting

Not here. Post once, wait for an answer. Do NOT post your "very important" question on more than one forum, and never post the same question again. If you have new issues regarding your "old" question - just follow your first thread and post to it. Members that cannot understand this simple rule will be banned.
    and the result is a 2 week ban. A member with the number of posts you have should know this.

This thread is being closed but the Exchange one will be left open for others to post replies. You will be able to read those posted comments.
    Last edited by biggles77; 31st August 2008, 14:41.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015