Windows network problems when router/default gateway is down

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows network problems when router/default gateway is down

We have a small domain with a Windows 2003 Server (IP 192.168.0.1)

It's running MS DNS Server (2 forwarders - OpenDNS' servers) and MS DHCP server (scope options: Router: 192.168.0.254 and DNS 192.168.0.1)

The Server itself has a default gateway of 192.168.0.254 and DNS of 192.168.0.1

There's a DSL router connected to our network switch with an IP address of 192.168.0.254

The problem is if the router goes down or I disconnect it the LAN will still work OK but if I reboot the Windows 2003 server whilst the router is down the LAN doesn't work. I'd expect the internal subnet to still function but even though the physical network connections are still there and the IP addresses are all OK the server is unreachable and we can't ping PC to PC. If I try renew the IP address of a workstation it can't find the DHCP server.

Is there something wrong with my configuration or do Windows Server behave strangely when they boot up and can't find a default gateway?

Thanks,

Steve

Re: Windows network problems when router/default gateway is down

Any errors in the Event Viewer?
    Please post an IPCONFIG /ALL (screenshot in JPG format and use ALT + Print Screen. Ta )
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

No there were no errors in the event logs at all.

Couldn't get a screen shot as I'm connecting remotely right now and alt + printscreen doesn't seem to want to work but here's the IPConfig from the server:

Windows IP Configuration
      Host Name : Server01
      Primary DNS Suffix: domain01.local
      Node Type: Unknown
      IP Routing Enabled: No
      WINS Proxy Enabled: No
      DNS Suffix Search List: domain01.local

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection
      Connection-specific DNS suffix:
      Description: NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
      Physical Address:00-04-4B-07-0C-99
      DHCP Enabled: No
      IP Address: 192.168.0.1
      Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway:192.168.0.254
      DNS Servers: 192.168.0.1

Comment

Out of curiosity, what type of server has an NVIDIA nForce chipset? Is this a pc acting as a server?

Comment

Well spotted!

Yes it's a fairly high spec PC running Windows 2003 server as a file server for a handful of users.

Comment

Try this:

Download Wildpackets Omnipeek Personal Edition and install it on the server. Then start a capture and see if it detects anything like a broadcast or arp storm.

Comment

Maybe I'm being an idiot but your network doesn't work when you turn off the server hosting DNS, isn't that normal?

Comment

I'm not turning off the server just rebooting it

and even if it were a DNS issue I should be able to ping PC to PC or PC to Server by IP address.

I managed to find Omnipeek personal on the web (apparently it's discontinued but some mirrors seem to have it still) so I'll give that a go if I have the problem again.

It would explain why the network acts as if it's totally dead if as you say some kind of packet storm is flooding the network.

Comment

Working...
                X