Need to block HTTP port on server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to block HTTP port on server

We have a server running WebSphere which uses port 80 for client access. The software is so bad that it crashes often and we need to reboot the server to get it back up. Problem is that when the server reboots, and Websphere loads, we have to manually start each of the modules. If a user comes in a tries to access the modules while they are being started, the module crashes and another restart is required.

So is there a way to easily block port 80 on this server? It is not running IIS but we would appreciate redirecting the incoming port 80 traffic to a web page which states "the server is under maintenance and try again later".

Is it possible to setup IIS here on, say, another port and have IIS redirect all http traffic to Websphere, and then when we need to, redirect it to the Under Maintenance page? Thanks.
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Need to block HTTP port on server

Are the Clients accessing the server from an internal LAN or are they using for example the internet?

if they are accessing it from the internet your router should be able to forward the port elsewhere.

As for a LAN, there will be a way I'm somewhat sure, however what it is I don't know yet.

Comment

Re: Need to block HTTP port on server

>>
      As for a LAN, there will be a way I'm somewhat sure, however what it is I don't know yet.

LoL. Good answer. Yes, the clients are on the local LAN. My user wants to set the server's firewall to block port 80, but since all servers have their firewalls turned off- I don't want to change the config on just one. Thanks.
      |
      +-- JDMils
      |
      +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
      |

Comment

Working...
      X