Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Profile naming convention

Hi

Can someome please explain to me how the profile naming convention works in Windows 2003 Domain?

Basically I have made a brand new domain, ready for a migration from the old domain (completely different networks, different physical location etc).

At the old domain they do not have roaming profiles set, they are all local.

I took a pc to the new site, joined the new domain. I kept the usernames the same as the old domain.

I was hoping that the local profile would load up, saves me the headache of transferring stuff over. But it didnt!

When I look at Docs and Settings on the C Drive I have:

Username
    Username.newdomain
    Username.olddomain

My (rather long winded) question is this: With no roaming profiles, what should the profile folder look like? Just Username or Username.domain?

Just trying to understand why/when windows creates these folders.

Thanks

Hong

Re: Profile naming convention

There is a process Windows goes through when a user logs on - it's something like this:

1. Is the user a local user?
    yes - does the user have a profile? If so, use that and go to the end. If not, is there a profile already existing with the same name as the user? If not, create a profile with the name of the user. If there is one, create a profile with the user's name, a dot, and the PC name.

2. The user is not local therefore it is a domain user.
    Does the user have a profile? If so, use that and go to the end. If not, is there a profile already existing with the same name as the user? If not, create a profile with the name of the user. If there is one, create a profile with the user's name, a dot, and the short Domain Name of the domain he belongs to (i.e. the one he logged into this time).

The End.

I don't know what would happen if there was already a profile (not belonging to this user) which had the user.domain or user.pcname format... I suspect it would overwrite it.

To use the existing user profile from the old domain or from the PC, delete any new "vanilla" ones that have been created, go into the "User Profiles" screen in system properties with a local admin ID, and use the "Copy To" function to copy the old profile to a new folder with EITHER the user's name or the user.newdomain format, and set "Allowed to use" to "newdomain\username".

Theoretically when the user logs in they should be using the copied profile; but if they are not, do the same again but use the name you didn't use the first time and try that.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

p.s. this functionality (the decision process) comes from the OS which you log into, NOT from Active Directory... so if you log into an XP box, XP decides what to do with the profile.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

If username.domain already exists you'll see username.001, username.002, username.003...

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
          If username.domain already exists you'll see username.001, username.002, username.003...
          Cool thanks for that - not a situation you come across every day!!

Tom

Comment

Thanks for the info, Ill have a stab over the weekend and see where I end up.

Comment

Working...
            X