Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• win2003 AD 2nd. DC install

hello,
    i have one win2k3 DC(with about 50 workstations) and two other 2k3 member SQL 2005 servers. one of those SQL boxes has a secondary DNS server function running. the other is running SQL for Goldmine and that's it.
    what type of load would there be if i wanted to create a secondary DC on one of those SQL boxes... basically if our main server goes down we have no backup DC on the system.
    should we consider building a simpler 2k3 server and then create a virtual DC in there for backup?
    there are two satellite offices that will eventually be connected via a site-to-site VPN to our site.(maybe next year but want to be prepared in case) different subnets,etc. but thought of having one AD for all the sites is getting more realistic. we just got the VPN appliances installed.
    any thoughts on this would be great.
    thanks

Re: win2003 AD 2nd. DC install

With 50 clients you won't put too much load unless those SQL servers are close to capacity already. I would install Virutal Server on one of the SQL servers and create a virtual machine based DC.

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
      With 50 clients you won't put too much load unless those SQL servers are close to capacity already. I would install Virutal Server on one of the SQL servers and create a virtual machine based DC.

which one, MS or VMware? should a person consider the 64bit in virtual... or can that be done on a 32bit core host?

Comment

Originally posted by Meekrobe View Post
        Why virtualise it? All I can see that doing is take resources away from the main application (SQL) that is running on that server. You would also need to check the licencing issue with running another instance of 2003 Server in a virtual environment. I really must commit this virtual licence issue to memory. If you have the Enterprise Server version you can run 4 instances of Server on the Enterprise machine. Would need to look up the Standard licence issue.

Considering if all licencing is covered, if you have 64bit hardware then you have the option of a 64bit install by using VMWare or 32bit install if you want to use MS Virtual Server 2005.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X