X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Browsing Slow over Wan

Hello

Hopefully someone might have a solution for me. I have a complete windows network. Mostly windows 2000 but also have nt 4.0 server, 2000 & 2003 servers. I have to WAN connections going over T1 lines. The remote locations have no problems downloading things from the web and stuff but network browsing is slow and when you connect to the other side of the WAN to get files from another server or pc, it is very slow. I am running Wins on both sides of the WAN, but i was thinking that this might be the problem. Please Help!!!

Do you have an anti-virus with network scanning enabled?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

i have a mid-size network of about 350 pc's and we are using Symantec Corporate Edition AV.

Comment

Have you disabled the network scanning option?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes i did disable network scanning on both servers that i was trying to transfer files from. Still seems to be slow. Could it be something with WINS or something?

Comment

Is it also disabled on the clients?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No...Does it have to be turned off on every client? We have like 300 pc's. The network isn't slow on the LAN. Its slow over just the WAN

Comment

Yes it needs to be turned off at the clients, 300 clients, this should only take a week or 2. Actually, if you have installed the Symantec System Center Console you will be able to disable network scanning on the clients from there. 300 clients in 15 seconds tops (plus the time for it to propagate to the clients)

The step to disable this are slightly different depending on what version Symantec you are running. Version 9 Corporate is as follows and this should give you this idea for what you may be running.

Open Symantec Center Console
                Unlock Server Group
                right click the Prmary Server
                left click All Tasks
                Symantec Antivirus
                Client Auto-Protect Options (I think this option may be worded different on previous versions - but not sure)
                Remove take the tick from Network under Drive Types (bottom left of screen)
                Click the padlock button to close the padlock (this stops a client from changing their setting) and click Apply etc

If you are totally lost with this, post back with the EXACT version you are running.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: Network Browsing Slow over Wan

How about DNS? What is acting as DNS server? That will be the difference between internet and network.
                  If your server is acting as DNS then the DNS settings should be pointing towards the server itself as primary DNS then your external DNS server as secondary DNS server.
                  That is usually the first mistake. Most have the primary DNS set as their ISP then the computer has to out then back in then report back for the computer name. If you internet ever craps out, then what?

First look at the network settings on the server itself, then that should flow down to the individual PCs. If it is still slow, edit the individual PCs DNS settings.
                  I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
                  Chris Robertson
                  The Computer Doctor

Comment

WINS and DNS are used for name resolution but have nothing to do with network speed. When downloading files from the internet you are using TCP/IP with either HTTP and FTP but with file copies from one computer to another you are using TCP/IP with RPC and SMB and I suspect this is the overhead that is causing the slowness. If you ftp from one side to the other is the speed OK? If so, then the issue is with RPC/SMB. I don't know htat there's anything you can do about that. Also, have you run a trace route from one side to the other to see the path the data is taking? Doing a network packet capture on both sides of the WAN link might shed some light on the issue.

Comment

You guys are keen. This thread is 2 years old and I think it is time to retire it. Thanks for your participation.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X