Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you change folder permissions to restrict what file extensions can be saved?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you change folder permissions to restrict what file extensions can be saved?

I am just curious for my own edification.

We have a file server where we want users to store their data in and it also acts a storage for their roaming profile. The problem here is some users have started to save executables and are running apps on their own folders and I'm trying to find a way to block certain file extensions from these folders.

Are there permissions or settings I can apply in the GPO that would do that?

Re: Can you change folder permissions to restrict what file extensions can be saved?

If you're on 2003 R2 or 2008 you can use File Screening.

Comment

Re: Can you change folder permissions to restrict what file extensions can be saved?

Thank you I will try that

Comment

You could also restrict using the File Restriction policy. There are various options. Having worked in a very large school for 4 years of my career, I have seen it all. We used this extensively. Furthermore, you could do regular scans of the roaming profiles out of hours, deny the User permission to the files and folders that are exe etc, and leave them with a message stating it is against policy. News will soon spread and I am sure you will see a reduction of traffic created by this activity.

Comment

Working...
        X