Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prevent users from logon

hi all ,,,

I have mail server with windows 2003 and exchange 2003,,,,the users in my company not login to any domain ,,,but some ppl in the company can login to my server by there user name and password ,,, how can i prevent them from login but they can send and receive emails through outlook...???

I've try to use (log on to) certain computer option but when i do this they can't log into outlook anymore

can u help me plz

Re: Prevent users from logon

Make a domain.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

There's a domain already but i don't want the users to login to domain,, the users only use the exchange for send and receieve mails,,,,

Comment

????
        Why don't you want to use a domain??
        Do you know where a domain is useful for?
        Marcel
        Technical Consultant
        Netherlands
        http://www.phetios.com
        http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

You can run gpedit.msc and go to Computer COnfiguration > Windows Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignments > "Log on through Terminal Server" and remove whichever user you do not want.

Domains are a good thing though.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior6621 View Post
            You can run gpedit.msc and go to Computer COnfiguration > Windows Settings > Local Policies > User Rights Assignments > "Log on through Terminal Server" and remove whichever user you do not want.

Domains are a good thing though.
            Yes, you can do this. On EVERY server you need to do it. Individually. You may also need to set the "Deny Logon Locally" setting.

What happens when your organisation grows and you have ten servers? Fifteen? How easily do you think it will be to manage all those user rights, and local user accounts and so on? How do you manage access to file and print at the moment?

I agree with Junior - Domains are SERIOUSLY a good thing; no matter what size your organisation.

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I think if you disable user account they can not log in to network but they can check their emails via outlook. I am not sure about it but once I remember I disabled user account and that user account was able to log on to outlook

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
                I think if you disable user account they can not log in to network but they can check their emails via outlook. I am not sure about it but once I remember I disabled user account and that user account was able to log on to outlook

not worked for me ,,,,the outlook showed (Disconnected) when i disable user,,,
                Does anybody have a solution for me

Comment

Yes. Follow the advice of Stonelaughter and Junior6621. Deny logon locally and through Terminal Services on each machine for each user (create a group).

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
                    Yes. Follow the advice of Stonelaughter and Junior6621. Deny logon locally and through Terminal Services on each machine for each user (create a group).

guys.... u can't understand me

there's a mail server..the name of the domain is (mail.msm.com) ,,,i have about 10 users ..all the users are members of the domain (mail.msm.com) but non of them are really connected to the domain,,,do u understand what am i saying,,,they are members through exchange only . the computers are not connected to the domain,,,ok,,,my problem is all the users can login to domain by enter the username and the password of their accounts,,,i want to stop this
                    i want them only connect to exchange through outlook only
                    and about the solution (gpedit) the computers are not logged to the domain ok

another thing ,,,they not connected to domain remotely ,,,the log from the server it self,,,like the administrator ,,,(they aren't administrator but they can login)

Comment

Now I understand less then before.
                      please make a drawing how your setup looks like.
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

now all users can go to server and enter their user name and password and enter the to server,,,ok
                        how can i prevent that

Comment

If the computer is part of the domain and you have created users with mailboxes in Exchange then they will be able to login. That is the entire purpose of the setup. If you don't want them to be able to access shares etc from the server then I suggest taking the machines off the domain. Setting up RPC/HTTPS for the Outlook and then blocking (on the router) everything apart from HTTPS access to the server for those clients.
                          cheers
                          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

mgm21m, you are not understanding us. Go to the server, access the local security policy, deny the logon locally user right to the users in question. they will then not be able to sit down in front of the server and log on. Since you are running Exchange this means that you have a DC, you should set the user right on your domain GPO rather than the local policy but do whatever is easier for you.

Comment

Working...
                            X