Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Root DC with a new server in BIND Environment

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance with one of my projects.

PROJECT: Replacing Master Domain Controller with a New Server
    Overview:
    1. 3 Domain Controllers in my Network
    2. Root Domain Controller has FSMO, DNS and File services other DC are just normal DC without any FSMO or DNS roles.
    3. Configured Root DC with Static BIND name Servers. So while configuring the 2003 domain I followed the instructions for the Second Model (Use a combination of BIND and W2k DNS Servers) for managing AD DNS information. Everything is working fine with this config.
    4. Now I am planning to replace the ROOT DC with a New Server and Remove the old ROOT DC.

My Plan:

1. Install the new server as a normal DC.
    2. Transfer the file services to the new one.
    3. Then Promote the New Server as the Operations Master from AD user and Computers tool
    4. But I am only stuck with DNS thing. I was thinking to ask the BIND DNS administrator to create the four special zones for this new server also just as we did for the old root dc. But I am not sure if the zones can be pointed two DCís at the same time.
    5. So if I can do that then after creating the zones I can install DNS service on the new server and configure the zone info and keeping the old server still with DNS Service running.
    6. If everything works for a week or two I will remove the old server completely from the domain.

Is my plan okay. Any suggestions would save me going into trouble. I really appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot guys,
    Naveen.

Comment

what is 346534

I am sorry but what is 346534. Is that an article number.

thanks,
      Naveen

Comment

are the underscore (_msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp) zones delegated from BIND to MS DNS ?
        Do you have DDNS enabled on BIND ? on MS DNS ?
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

Re: what is 346534

Originally posted by namradi
          I am sorry but what is 346534. Is that an article number.

thanks,
          Naveen
          Hmm it isn't an MS one. It fails when searching for that.
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X