Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot RDC to server

Hi all,
    I got another ticket this morning for a server that no-one can RDC to. When I logon over iLO, the RDC service options are greyed out, and I can't telnet to the server on 3389. So what I'd like to find out, is if there's any way to recover from this without a reboot?
    This is on Server 2003 by the way, with SP1.
    Last edited by Eoin; 15th August 2008, 09:45. Reason: Added server version.
    Thanks,

Eoin

Re: Cannot RDC to server

Do you allow of install updates with automatic reboot? I have seen sometimes that when the updates get installed it will not do a clean reboot. Sometimes it always works flawlessly and sometimes it doesnt, its like pissing in the wind.
    What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

Nope, we install updates via SMS and reboot after the install. This happens randomly.
      Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

Logon locally then log off. See if RDP works then.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Nope, I tried that (over iLO), didn't make any difference I'm afraid...
          Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

Check the reg key:
            http://www.petri.com/remotely_enable...erver_2003.htm
            from there. I know it requires a reboot (and isn;t a fix) but it would be interesting to see if it is incorrect (and why!)
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

I'll try that the next time I get that issue. I had to reboot that particular server last night.
              What I'm hoping for is that someone will know a way around this issue so I can effectively restart the RDC service remotely even though it appears to have stopped responding to requests
              Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin View Post
                no-one can RDC to
                What is the role of the server? Does it provide Terminal Services to your users, by any chance?
                Next time you'll get the error, connect to it by iLO and check:
                1) netstat -a, to see if it's listening on port 3389;
                2) you can try to restart the service Terminal Services (this is the service, even if the machine works in Remote Administration mode);
                3) go to Administrative Tools -> Terminal Services Manager and see how many sessions you have. If you're working in Remote Administration mode and have already two disconnected (frozen?) sessions, you might encounter problems connecting again. The OS should be able to handle these cases (it usually pops up a window asking to which older session you want to connect), but who knows?

And another thing: have you checked the Event log for any odd behavior before the problem occurs?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

This particular server is an app server, so not using TS on it, just remote admins mode.
                  I did try telneting to that port, so would I be right in saying that if I can't telnet to that port then its not listening on it?
                  I'll try restarting the TS service next time alright (fingers crossed!).
                  I've tried using mstsc /console, but can't connect that way either, so I'm assuming its not a frozen/locked session (?).
                  I'll check the event log in the morning, but I don't remember seeing anything that refers to this issue in there.

Ta,
                  Eoin

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  What is the role of the server? Does it provide Terminal Services to your users, by any chance?
                  Next time you'll get the error, connect to it by iLO and check:
                  1) netstat -a, to see if it's listening on port 3389;
                  2) you can try to restart the service Terminal Services (this is the service, even if the machine works in Remote Administration mode);
                  3) go to Administrative Tools -> Terminal Services Manager and see how many sessions you have. If you're working in Remote Administration mode and have already two disconnected (frozen?) sessions, you might encounter problems connecting again. The OS should be able to handle these cases (it usually pops up a window asking to which older session you want to connect), but who knows?

And another thing: have you checked the Event log for any odd behavior before the problem occurs?
                  Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

I did try telneting to that port, so would I be right in saying that if I can't telnet to that port then its not listening on it?
                    Could be, but could be it any other network related problem. Maybe you'll find that the server does listen to the port, and you still cannot connect to it. Like some firewall settings coming from a GPO that it is not processed due to an error, an kicks in at some point somehow...
                    I've tried using mstsc /console, but can't connect that way either, so I'm assuming its not a frozen/locked session (?).
                    Again, hard to tell. At the moment, you need all the info you'll get, to be able to understand what is the problem (that is known that it is 80% of the way to a solution ).
                    I'll check the event log in the morning, but I don't remember seeing anything that refers to this issue in there.
                    Look for events from TermService as the source. Hard for me to believe it is a dependency issue (meaning, a service that stops working because one of the other services it is depending on crashed), because TS depends only on RPC, and if this fails, your least problem is that you cannot connect by RDC.
                    Run services.msc and take a look at the Terminal Services -> Recovery. Be sure it is set to restart the service in case of crash.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Nothing in event log for TermService
                      Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

Hi again,
                        I got a ticket for another server with the same issue. I have checked and RPC service and Terminal Services service are not responding. By that I mean that all options to change the state of the service (stop, restart...) are greyed out. Yes I do have local admin rights...
                        Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

Nothing in event log for TermService
                          What about Service Control Manager?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Nope, nothing since it was rebooted two days ago that is in any way even an error...
                            Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

I just found this article, I'll try it and post back if it works:
                              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832971/en-us
                              Thanks,

Eoin

Comment

Working...
                              X