Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 of 3 servers won't Replicate anymore

Hello,

I had to swap the motherboard of our main server (Server #1 - DC - Win2003 - It got all 5 FSMO Roles). After swapping the MoBo, I updated the drivers and firmwares. Since then, the 2 other servers (Server #2 & #3 - DC - Win2003) can't replicate AD anymore.

For example, from Server #1, I type \\Server#2\c$, and I can explore the drive. But if I log on server #2 and do \\server#1\c$, I have an error message saying "Login Failure: The target account name is incorrect". (In this scenario, I always log on with the Administrator account). If I try this on my computer (who is on the same subnet as Server #1), it's working. Not if I'm trying this from another subnet (we have 3 different subnets).

On Server #2 & #3, I have a lot of Event IDs #1865, 1925 & 1566 (each time it's trying to Replicate).

It looks like server #1 doesn't recognize the servers or the admin accounts of 2 & 3... I added another DC for testing purposes in our domain and everyting works fine after that (but the new added server cannot replicate with server 2 & 3, since AD Sites & Services wasn't replicated. They don't know each other, so I imagine this is why they can't replicate...).

Should I Demote/Promote servers 2 & 3, or should I do this with server 1? I'm affraid that servers 2 & 3 won't be able to use DCPROMO since they can't see server 1. I thought about transferring all FSMO roles to the newly added server and Demote/Promote all servers (starting with server 1) by using that new server... Maybe there's an easier way to solve this problem?

Thank you!
    Martin

Re: 1 of 3 servers won't Replicate anymore

This can be a simple DNS error. Make sure your network settings are correct.

Is the NIC embeded on the motherboard?

Comment

My network settings are the same as before. And yes, the NIC is embedded.

Comment

Try clearing your network settings then put them back in. Also check the interface binding on DNS.

Comment

I'll try this in 1h30, when people are disconnected from the server.

In the meantime, is there some DNS configuration I should look at? Nothing should have changed though...

Oh and BTW, when I try to force Replication in AD Sites & Services from server 1 to 2, it says "Directory object not found" or "The target principal name is incorrect"...

Comment

I've swapped motherboards and done restores to differen't hardware before and the OS losing it connection to the NIC has been a common issue. Don't know why, maybe it keeps track of the mac or some hardware ID.

Comment

Finally, Server 2 isn't able to "speak" with the new server either (same thing as server 1). So I'm not sure about the NIC thing (I'll try it any but it is the same with the new server...).

Comment

Is server 2 looking at server1 for DNS?

Comment

If you mean that server 2 has server 1 as a Primary DNS, no.. It is itself. I tried that though.. Server 2 is also able to resolve the FQDN of server 1.

Comment

Finally, I had to DCPROMO /forceremoval the 2 servers (not the PDC) and DCPROMO again.

Now, IIS was installed on those servers and it looks like it didn't like it. My WSUS servers doesn't work anymore... Now I have to troubleshoot that problem...

Comment

Working...
                    X