noob setting up server 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob setting up server 2003

Hello all. I am trying to figure out how to setup up a domain for Windows Server 2003. I have tons of questions, some of which I have already had google answer! I can't find the answer to this though: Where do I connect my cable modem to? I have a cable modem, 4 port wireless router, 24 port hub, and 3 machine (including server/ DNS controller). I thought that if I were to setup the server as a DHCP and a DNS controller, it would act as my gateway/router, right? Where do I connect my cable modem? A diagram of a setup like this would be great!

I should also add that the box that will be my server has 2 NICs

Re: noob setting up server 2003

Should look something like this

CABLE MODEM
    |
    |
    |
    FIREWALL
    |
    |
    |
    SWITCH
    |
    |
    |
    SERVER

Comment

forgive the ignorance, but would the wireless router I currently have take the place of the firewall and the switch? I would like to have IP addresses that start with 10.0.0.x, and would like to have the server I am trying to setup control that, while still being able to lease only 1 IP from my ISP.

Comment

Assuming your wireless router is some type of firewall:

Cable Modem -> Wireless Router -> 24 Port Hub

The computers would connect to the router and/or hub.
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the responses. So if I still have the router connected, how do I keep it from assiging IP address to the other machine on my network since I want the server I am making to do it?

Comment

For that you'd have to read your router manual.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X