2nd DC error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd DC error

Just trying to setup a second win2k3 DC on my network and I keep getting the error

This server is running in VMWare server and there was a previous second DC that was deleted

AD all seems to work ok on the main DC and Exchange server and I can still add computers to the domain.

Anyone able to help? Everything was going so smoothly up until this point

Thanks

Re: 2nd DC error

Ok, managed to find out that the server was pointing to my router for DNS instead of the DC. Changed that manually and it's all gone through and setting up for now. Looks like I need to tweak a few bits and peices in DHCP and DNS to get it all running smoothly again but anyone have any ideas why it went AWOL in the first place?

Comment

where are you running DHCP from ? , it sounds like it was the router ? You need to set the DNS server in your dhcp options (or manually set on each server)
      DNS is fundemental in ad and if your 2nd domain controller was not reading DNS records from DC1 then it would have no hope in joining the domain. Both you dc's should be using your internal DNS, you can then add a forwarder in DNS to your router if you want to be resolve names on the internet from them.
      Last edited by hazey; 14th August 2008, 04:13.

Comment

Originally posted by hazey View Post
        Both you dc's should be using your internal DNS, you can then add a forwarder in DNS to your router if you want to be resolve names on the internet from them.
        And also the connecting client PC's. Basically the whole network should be using your internal DNS.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Thanks

My router was doing DHCP but have been disabled now and the main DC has taken over. Everything is set to use the internal DNS now. I've now added the 2nd DC and it all seems to be working ok.

I've now found that my Exchange server won't logon to the network but will only logon locally Is rather annoying so any advice on that? I'm off to have a play once I get to work so might find something obvious.

Just ran nslookup and it comes up with the message:

Can't find server name for 192.168.0.2: Non-existant domain
          Default server: UnKnown
          Address: 192.168.0.2
          192.168.0.2 is the IP address of my DC and DNS server
          Last edited by gotenks1321; 14th August 2008, 08:22.

Comment

Is this exchange server using the DNS of your DC?

*Edit*

Actually maybe this was a daft question. In any case can you confirm it?
            Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

It is indeed All server IP addresses are now set manually with the DNS pointing to the main DNS.

I've done an ipconfig /flushdns and an ipconfig /registerdns

Comment

If you run nslookup on the DC does it do the same?
                Can you ping the DC from the Exchange via hostname and IP?

Comment

nslookup on the DC comes back saying:

Default server: localhost
                  Address: 127.0.0.1
                  Yep, able to ping both the hostname and IP address. I'm not able to access the echange webmail page from the DC though

Comment

Is the firewall enabled on this DC?

Can you "telnet 192.168.0.2 53" from the exchange?

Comment

Thanks for all the help but I decided to rebuild the whole lot. I figured as I messed up by deleting a previous DC then it would be best to start again rather than try to fix it when it may never be as tidy as it was

I definitely need to get learning a lot more about DNS before I do much else though that's for sure

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X