Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricting access question

All
    My environment is a Windows 2003 environment. My file server is a Win2k3 R2 server (also our primary dc) ... Currently all of our users have rights to just about every folder (full control is disabled for all ) ... Occasionally we get a couple of users who accidently take a folder and drag it underneath another folder. Is there a way I can restrict folders from being moved to other folders but still be able to create/delete items in a folder if that makes sense?
    So in other words, I have a folder called "folder A" and a folder called "Folder B" and i accidently drag folderA to folderB - can i restrict this but still be able to create files in folderA and folderB ?

Re: Restricting access question

In the root folder change the security privileges to apply to folder/sub folder to deny delete for sub folder/files for the users group or account - apply this to child objects.

Creator owner should still have full control so if a user creates a folder they can delete it but will keep others from moving/deleting them on accident. You could even allow them to take ownership so that they can delete a folder but adds an extra layer to ensure they mean to delete/move it so that accidental move won't happen.

You're going to have to mess with the settings until you get what you're after, but it's possible. I did a quick test and did what you were asking but am not 100% sure it's exactly what you wanted. Here's what I did.

Code:
    C:\Windows\System32>cacls n:\SecurityTest
    n:\SecurityTest 

NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(CI)(DENY)(special access:) FILE_DELETE_CHILD
    BUILTIN\Administrators:(OI)(CI)F
    CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
    NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users:(OI)(IO)F
    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:(OI)(CI)F
    Last edited by ahinson; 11th August 2008, 16:39.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, basically all I want to do is deny people from dragging folders to another folder on a network drive for when they get click happy. Because then they think they've just deleted an entire folder structure when in turn its underneath some place else.

But - I still want them to be able to create, modify and delete files/folders on the network ....

let me try your suggestion and i'll let ya know if i'm successful or not

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
        ...deny people from dragging folders to another folder on a network drive...

But - I still want them to be able to create, modify and delete files/folders on the network ....
        Doing what I suggested should do what you've described.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

It worked ! Thank you for that bit of info on how to accomplish this.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie View Post
            It worked ! Thank you for that bit of info on how to accomplish this.
            Of course it did. Glad to have helped.
            Andrew

Comment

Working...
            X