question about 2003

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about 2003

Hey, this is my first post here and i had a few questions, i have been out of college for a good 4 years now, and havnt touched any of the networking stuff seince then, here is what i am trying to do. * i have alittle remaining knowldge but alot is lost *

In my office we have 2 desktops and 4 laptops all running vista and/or Windows xp

My server is running windows server 2003

I am looking to set up a network where each user needs to log into his PC using a administrator given login ( ex: FirstnameMinitalLastname ) or something like that and have some networked folders as well as some programs installed no matter which PC or user logs in

if i remember i need to set up a DNS? then a forest? make users and user groups

im just alittle lost it has been awhile, the server is clean installed, nothing set up so far and when i learned it, it was on Windows 2000

please help! im sure i can figure a few things out as far as file sharing the main thing im trying to figure out it how to get the User's in the office logins and link all the PC's to the server so people can log in and use them.

Re: question about 2003

Try reading this

http://www.petri.com/how_to_install_...ndows_2003.htm

Comment

Ok, i belive i have installed the DNS and AD, server shows them in tools but im unsure of my TCP/IP information and for adding a PC to the network in that link you gave me it said just enter the information i dont know where im getting my IPs from minus the default gateway being 255.255.255.0

And if possible how to i get another PC onto the network so they can log in to the server domain as a workstation

Comment

Originally posted by pitt View Post
        Ok, i belive i have installed the DNS and AD, server shows them in tools but im unsure of my TCP/IP information and for adding a PC to the network in that link you gave me it said just enter the information i dont know where im getting my IPs from minus the default gateway being 255.255.255.0

And if possible how to i get another PC onto the network so they can log in to the server domain as a workstation
        What you are experiencing is a DHCP server installed on something other than your server.

I would sya that you have a DHCP server on your network somewhere, probably your router.

Are you sure you have AD installed??? on the server go to a command prompt and type \\servername\NETLOGON

Replace servername with your actual server name.

Comment

ok when i typed \\67oneserver\netlogon a window opened with nothing in it, but adress shows as above

also in the Manage your server window at login

My server has been configured with the following roles:

Domain Controller (AD)

and

DNS Server

i know my ISP DNS info and whathave you, im just confused abit about TCP/IP IP's/DNS's and added computers to the network
          Last edited by pitt; 11th August 2008, 08:12. Reason: info

Comment

Can you post what shows when you open a cmd prompt and type "ipconfig /all"
            This should show your IP address etc.
            I would be tempted to disable the windows firewall service as well.

Basics are:
            Give the server a static IP address
            Install AD and DNS
            Add clients to network by either giving them static addresses on the network or setting up DHCP on the server.
            Add clients to Server by using properties of my computer and Computer Name tab.
            cheers
            Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

after my ipconfig /all

reads out the following:

Windows IP Configuration:

Host name : 67oneserver
              Primary DNS Suffex : 67one.local
              node type : broadcast
              IP Routing Enabled: NO
              Wins Proxy Enabed : no
              DNS Suffix search list : 67one.local

Ethernet adapter Local Arena Connection:

connection-specific dns suffix :
              description: Nvidia nforce networking controller
              Physical Address 00-1d-60-12-6f-51
              DHCP Enabled; YES
              Autoconfiguration Enabled : Yes
              ip address : 192.168.1.2
              subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
              default gateway : 192.168.1.1
              DCHP server 192.168.1.1
              DNS Servers 202.151.64.130

i just dont know where to go from here, i know how to create users, and user groups but as far as getting all the PC's in the office onto the network and having the network on the internet im lost... just been to long seince ive been in the game, any help would be welcome with many thanks
              Last edited by pitt; 11th August 2008, 10:05. Reason: add

Comment

It looks like your server is picking up DHCP from, probably, your internet router.
                The DNS is setup for your ISP which means all of the AD records cannot be created.

I would really recommend turning off DHCP on it if you can or, if not, change the server so it uses a static IP address of 192.168.1.254 (should be the least likely to be assigned to a client).

Set your servers DNS to 192.168.1.254 as well and then reboot.
                Once the server has restarted I would then logon, wait 5 mins and restart the netlogon service.
                You should then be able to open Admin Tools and DNS to see your records setup correctly.
                For the client machines you will need to assign them manual addresses too. Everything internally needs to use the DNS on your server not the ISP ones.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

how do you go about assigning the IPs just pick a random number and change the last number right to one not used? i will try to get into my router and disable the DHCP and jump back here and post how it went

quick question
                  change the server so it uses a static IP address of 192.168.1.254 (should be the least likely to be assigned to a client). is this done in the router configuration page where i disabled the DHCP

Set your servers DNS to 192.168.1.254 as well and then reboot. where is this done? on the server's network card TCP/IP options? do i then just foward the DNS of the ISP on fowarders?
                  Last edited by pitt; 11th August 2008, 10:34. Reason: update

Comment

You can assign randomly and there are many different ways of doing it but for this I think it best just to use the last address as the router will be assigning the rest from 2 upwards so 254 would be the last one used.

You change the IP and DNS on the server not on the router although having said that, if you can change the DHCP scope on the router so it gives out 192.168.1.254 as the only DNS then you will save yourself some hassle as well

On the server open properties of Network Neighbourhood and then properties of the network card. Then Internet Protocol TCP IP. At the moment this will have bullets in the Obtain IP and DNS server address automatically. You want to type in
                    IP 192.168.1.254
                    Subnet 255.255.255.0
                    Gateway 192.168.1.1
                    DNS 192.168.1.254
                    Then reboot (and do the netlogon thing).

Once the server is running correctly then adding machines will start working!
                    cheers
                    Andy

Comment

now my ipconfig /all shows

reads out the following:

Windows IP Configuration:

Host name : 67oneserver
                      Primary DNS Suffex : 67one.local
                      node type : Unkown
                      IP Routing Enabled: NO
                      Wins Proxy Enabed : no
                      DNS Suffix search list : 67one.local

Ethernet adapter Local Arena Connection:

connection-specific dns suffix :
                      description: Nvidia nforce networking controller
                      Physical Address 00-1d-60-12-6f-51
                      DHCP Enabled; No
                      ip address : 192.168.1.254
                      subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
                      default gateway : 192.168.1.254
                      DNS Servers 192.168.1.254

now the server is without internet and still nothing shows up in the \\67oneserver\netlogon

Comment

Can you open your DNS server and see the records on it?

Get the support tools from the sticky in the Misc forum and run "dcdiag /v > c:\dcdiag.txt"

Your gateway should be .1 not .254 which explains the internet issue too
                        cheers
                        Andy

Comment

Why are you so worried about the contents of the Netlogon share? It will be empty unless you are using legacy logon scripts or if you use it to store a default user profile.

Comment

Working...
                          X