Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Lookup Zone

Hi Everybody

I have a question about creating a reverse lookup zone on Windows Server 2003, and I would be grateful if some expert could give me some help.

I need to create a reverse lookup zone to solve some email sending and receiving problems that we have been having. Now I am cool with creating the zone, but the only thing that is bothering me is our network is 10.20.30.x and has a subnet mask of 255.255.255.x , so would I need to do anything differently because of the subnet mask or can I just go ahead and create the zone and then add the PTR records for the servers?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I have fairly limited experience with DNS, so thanks in advance.

Re: Reverse Lookup Zone

No offence meant but are you sure it is you that needs to set them up rather than your ISP?
    Usually mail sending issues relate to your public IP not resolving back to your mail server.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

No offence taken, and thanks for replying

I was kind of under the impression that if the reverse lookup zone was created on our server, this information would be transferred to our ISP. Or have I got things completely wrong?

Comment

Unless you guys host all of your own external records (which is usually unlikely) then you just need to call/email your ISP and tell them you want to set it up. They probably do it quite often so should be able to sort it for you.
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Okay, I will try this out.

Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by grey fox View Post
            No offence taken, and thanks for replying

I was kind of under the impression that if the reverse lookup zone was created on our server, this information would be transferred to our ISP. Or have I got things completely wrong?
            Yes, Your ISP will do that for you. But if you having problems sending and recieving emails maybe your company domain might be black listed by others internet service providers. I had to contact my ISP to contact there ISP to get us off the black list. Hopefully that might help your situation.

Comment

I would recommend creating the zone in DNS anyway (your internal IP subnet not external). For the external reverse lookup issue (such as mail bouncing due to spam reverse lookup reasons?) the quickest solution would be to use your ISP's outgoing SMTP server.
              Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Working...
              X