Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 Server as an outboud relay??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Server as an outboud relay??

I'm not sure it's possible to do this, we need a box to route outbound emails, our mail route outbound looks like this

Client>Exchange>Spam Filter>OutboundRelayBox>Internet

Our current OutboundRelayBox is not doing a very good job because when emails arrive in the Spam Filter box they're being queued while it waits for the Outbound Relay. My question is, can I drop in a Windows 2000 box with 2 NICS, one connected to our LAN and another connected to our WAN to do the job? The Windows 2000 Server box I have in mind is a Member Server without Exchange installed.

Re: Windows 2000 Server as an outboud relay??

Your spam checking Outgoing emails from your company?

What is your "Outbound Relay"? Can your filtering tool not forward to an external SMTP, such as the ISP's?
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

Thanks for your reply, the answer to your question is no, The Filtering tool doesn't have a WAN connection, the Outbound Relay is a box that can act as a Web Proxy and Firewall but it's currently doing the job of forwarding outbound email. It has a WAN connection in it too. I hope this helps. thanks again.

Comment

Sounds to me like your email server isn't configured to send out mail via a proxy. Can you not configure the spam server to connect directly via a gateway?
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

The Spam Server is connected to a gateway, that is why I'm asking whether a Windows 2000 Server can be used to replace the Gateway, but not to worry. I've thought about this and I don't think it will be a good thing to do, first I'll need two NICs and I don't want to go down that route anyway. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
          X