Resizing primary partition of Win2K3 Server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resizing primary partition of Win2K3 Server

I've got a Dell server that has C: partition of 12GB and a D: partition of 56GB residing on the same drive. The C: drive only has 1.2GB free and the D: has 48GB. What is the quickest and easiest way to move several GB from D: to C

I know I could image the drives, blow away the partitions, re-create the partition, and image the drives back, however that seems like the very long way! I was thinking about using Acronis Disk Director. It appears to have an option to resize one partition from the space of another partition. Has anyone used it like this? Possibly recommend the product or similar? Will this method not work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    MePH
    "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

CCNA, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, A+

Re: Resizing primary partition of Win2K3 Server

Are drives in some hardware mirror? Software mirror? Dinamic partitions? Or basic partitions?

Be careful if you are dealing with Dinamic partitions.

I used System Commander for resizing NTFS partitions and it worked fine, but I didn't resize drives on server so I don't if there is some extra thing that you need to pay attention to.

In any case, do the backup first, just in case

Comment

Looks like hardware (PERC 4e/Di Controller) mirrored drives (Seagate ST373207LC) setup as basic.

I was planning a backup ... was just hoping to avoid the blowing away partitions, re-creating them, and then restoring data is all.

Thanks for the speedy reply!
      MePH
      "All technology should be assumed guilty until proven innocent." ~David Ross Brower

Comment

I have had some affliated companies that I work with have this same issue. They bought a copy of Paragon Drive manager and manged to change the primary/system partitions.

I do not believe Windows will let you change a system partition without the assistance of a third party program.
        MCITP:SA, MCSA 2003, MCP, CCNA, A+, Net+, Security+

Comment

boondock, I do believe your right. Windows won't let me resize without 3rd party software. I'm also 99.9% sure I can't resize the partition from Windows. I'll have to do it from a boot disk or what not since I'm sure Windows has a lock on the partition. I'll look into Paragon Drive manager.

Thanks,
          MePH

Comment

you can try something like extpart, but the chances are you might lose the entire disk

first of all, get the controller driver and firmware updated, as well the the hdd firmware
            after that, if you have acronis available, image the disk with that, I'd also create a normal backup, just in case.

restore from the acronis image, changing the partition sizes. use resizing utilities at your own risk - they are NOT reliable.
            ________
            Mercedes-benz m102 engine
            Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:19.
            Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I wouldn't even bother with any partition re-sizing software.
              I would just backup everything, blow it all away and re-install Win2K3 and then just restore from backup.

I have an Exchange 2007 server which I need to re-size the C: drive which is a RAID1 and I think that's the way i'm going to go 1 weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by angelo_vam View Post
                I wouldn't even bother with any partition re-sizing software.
                I would just backup everything, blow it all away and re-install Win2K3 and then just restore from backup.

I have an Exchange 2007 server which I need to re-size the C: drive which is a RAID1 and I think that's the way i'm going to go 1 weekend.
                Unfortunately it is kind of a mission critical server we use 24/7/365 so the shortest downtime would be preferable ... however I know exactly what you mean !!!

MePH

Comment

You can use DriveImageXML from within windows (or from a bootable CD/DVD) to image the drive and then use UBCD4WIN to resize the partition and restore it using DriveImageXML. I did this yesterday on a Dell PE1950 so it's a good bet it will work with your PERC card. Create the UBCD4WIN bootable CD/DVD and boot up to it. If you can see the physical disks then you're in good shape and can proceed to image it (to an external USB drive), rseize, and restore the image. I wouldn't see this taking more than an hour or so.

Comment

you can increase the size by moving bage file from C:\ to d:\ it is going to free at least 2 GB and deleted the uninstall SP and update folders from windows directory

Regards

Comment

I have not used Acronis Disk Director before, but I have used Easeus Partition Manager, which can easily resize, create and delete a pattirion...It's a freesoftware,you can have a try!
                      http://www.tucows.com/preview/506435

Originally posted by mephitic View Post
                      I've got a Dell server that has C: partition of 12GB and a D: partition of 56GB residing on the same drive. The C: drive only has 1.2GB free and the D: has 48GB. What is the quickest and easiest way to move several GB from D: to C

I know I could image the drives, blow away the partitions, re-create the partition, and image the drives back, however that seems like the very long way! I was thinking about using Acronis Disk Director. It appears to have an option to resize one partition from the space of another partition. Has anyone used it like this? Possibly recommend the product or similar? Will this method not work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
                      MePH

Comment

I have always used Acronis Disk Director, it even has a wizard so if you mess up you partitions maybe you should look into a different job . Its very simple and a nice program, but I know other people like other stuff just giving you my insight on it.
                        What do I know, I am only 26.

Comment

I also recommend EASEUS Partition Manager. Besides there is EASEUS Partition Manager Server Edition for server and non-server Windows systems - Windows 2000 Server/Advanced Server, Windows 2003 Server (32 and 64 bit) and Windows 2000 Professional SP4, Windows XP (32 and 64 bit).
                          Last edited by biggles77; 21st August 2008, 13:28. Reason: Link removed

Comment

I agree with linda. I have tried a free one named EASEUS Partition Manager Home Edition before and it has done a good job. Under its help, I can maximize the performance of my computer in an easier and safe way for it will not cause data loss. Now that company has released an edition named EASEUS Partition Manager Server Edition which can support both server and non-server.Just as Linda indicated.REMOVED by MOD
                            Last edited by biggles77; 22nd August 2008, 09:53. Reason: Links removed.

Comment

Hi mephitic,

Have you tried EASEUS Partition Manager?Please enjoy your feeling about it with us

Comment

Working...
                              X