Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Folder Restrictions in server 2003

Hello there.
    I want to set to an XP pro PC some restriction so that he cannot open and see the files of certain folders.My domain runs in server 2003 and I want to achieve this only by using the Group Policy configuration and not topically in the client PC as I will add some more PCs in the subnet and I don't what to change the sharing settings for each folder in each PC. I ve searched in the GPO Editor but I didn't find somathing related to what I want to do...
    Any ideas..?
    Thanx in advance..

Re: Folder Restrictions in server 2003

Questions:

1. Are these folders on the network or on the local PC?

2. Do you want to restrict the user or the workstation?

3. Is the workstation part of the domain, or a workgroup?

If I assume that the folders are on the network, the workstation is part of the domain and its the user you want to give restrictions to, I advise you create a security group in AD (if its more than 1 user) and add a deny into the shares that you do not what him/her to access...

If its just a single user you want to deny access to, just add a deny to the folders you don't want him to access to directly to the user.

I hope this makes sense? This is also my 1st "advice" post so please be gentle.

Cheers!

D

Comment

There is no need to use a GPO. NTFS allows for granular NTFS and share permmisions on the designated folder. Simply give whomever you want access to that folder (for whever ever the folder resides - presumably the server). That is all that is required.

Comment

You could use a cmd tool like xcacls to change the users permissions to the folder(s). You'll have to research running logon scripts as an admin to do this though..
        Jake G

Former Microsoft MVP - IIS ('02-'06)

Comment

Have you looked into Access-based Enumeration (ABE) to limit users' views to only what they can access? You can learn about this Microsoft tool here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rview/abe.mspx

Comment

Originally posted by PLISW View Post
            Have you looked into Access-based Enumeration (ABE) to limit users' views to only what they can access? You can learn about this Microsoft tool here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...rview/abe.mspx
            Great post! I always wondered how I could hide the folders that users have no access to without going nuts with "Deny" permissions. Thanks!

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Working...
            X