Mirror drive recovery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mirror drive recovery

I had a windows Server 2003 that crashed. I was using software mirroring for my data drive. I need to recover the data from that drive. Is there a way I can read from the mirrrored disks on an XP machine? Can I mount it on one of my XP machines without rsiking the data?

The drive was configured as non-bootable data drive. My boot drive crashed and is currently unrecoverable.

TIA,
    Thom

Yes that should be ok to try. Make sure you the correct master slave settings if it is IDE but apart from that give it a go I would say.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Didn't work

I connected one of the drives. To a working XP machine. However, the drive appears with no files. I assume I have to somehow add the "mirroring" to the XP machine.

Any ideas? I am afraid to add both drives because they are my only backup of some of my files and I I don't want to jepardize them both.

Comment

Was the disk setup to mirror as a dynamic disk in the disk management or was it hardware RAID? Was it working?

EDIT: After reading this: http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...ncepts_04A.asp

You may need another Win2k3 server to view the contents of the drive.
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Was the disk setup to mirror as a dynamic disk in the disk management or was it hardware RAID? Was it working?
          Yes, it was on the original server. This is my home network I set up for my family stuff, so my budget is limited. We used the server for AD, file shares and print sharing mostly. I do this stuff so I can be somewhat familar with the technology. I am an architect so my job is more high level. Right now I am most concerned with what I ned to do to access the disk(s).

If I need to set up another win2k3 server I can but I would prefer to find a way to retrieve the data from these drives, then set them up as my boot disk with mirroring. I take it from that link, that I will need another win2k3 box.

I have one at another site that I can borrow for a while. When I get it, what do I do to add these drives without losing the data?

Comment

Btw, I was so excited to reply back to you that I forgot my manners.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!

Comment

It should be a matter of plugging the drive in (ensuring master slave IDE stuff etc) but im afraid ive never done it, i went on a course once where the instructor said dont use dynamic disks as they are pants!! In my opinion i would stick to hardware raid, and try to stay away from dynamic disks. I know its hard to do that when you are on a budget.

Anyway have a go (ensuring you have good backups of the server you are going to butcher! - only kidding... but do check the backups are good) and let us know how you get on.
              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Uh Oh

I finally got my other win2k3 server back and online. I tried to install both disks and that failed. I think one of them is fried. I was successful at installing one drive. However, the import foreign drive is grayed out. The only options available are: Convert to basic and Reactivate.

Now I am really nervous. With one drive failing to spin up at all, I am concerned that I may lose my data. I set up the mirroring to prevent this very problem and now I feel like I am in a scary place.

Should I try to reactivate the drive?

Comment

Working...
                X