Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Windows 2003 Server

Hello,

I will be replacing one of our servers that is running Server 2003 Enterprise with a new one this week, and need some info regarding steps that need to be taken to ensure it is seen the same as the old one. I.E: same server name and IP.

The old server is not a PDC or anything special, so will it be possible just to rename the old server, and name the new server the old name and copy the files from the old to the new?

How can I ensure that the new server retains the same IP address as the old one?

Thanks for any input!

Jeremy

Re: Replacing Windows 2003 Server

Not a lot of info about your current setup so I'll just pitch for the generics.

- set the server up the same (shares, permissions, printers etc whatever you've got it doing)

- decommision the old server and join the new one to the domain (presuming you're using one of course ) with the same name.

- to get the same IP address you'll need to update the DHCP reservation details (ie: the MAC address) if that it how you are assigning IP addresses.

Not much to it really.

Personally, I'm not a fan of doing this and would rather migrate everything across to the new server. I'm a huge fan of issuing a unique name to a server and keeping it as such for its entire life wherever possible. But that's just me. I'm like that.
    This message represents the official view of the voices in my head

Comment

before joining a domain under an existing name, reset the computer account in AD
      ________
      Yamaha sy77 specifications
      Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 19:19.
      Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

Originally posted by graycat View Post
        Not a lot of info about your current setup so I'll just pitch for the generics.

- set the server up the same (shares, permissions, printers etc whatever you've got it doing)

- decommision the old server and join the new one to the domain (presuming you're using one of course ) with the same name.

- to get the same IP address you'll need to update the DHCP reservation details (ie: the MAC address) if that it how you are assigning IP addresses.

Not much to it really.

Personally, I'm not a fan of doing this and would rather migrate everything across to the new server. I'm a huge fan of issuing a unique name to a server and keeping it as such for its entire life wherever possible. But that's just me. I'm like that.

Thanks for the info!

I understand what you're saying about the DHCP settings, but as far as the Files that I have on the old server, will I be able to change the name of the old PC and join the new one as the old ones name and simply copy the files over? I thought I read somewhere about how when you copy files from one server to another, security permissions are lost.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by JBHitman View Post
          Thanks for the info!

I understand what you're saying about the DHCP settings, but as far as the Files that I have on the old server, will I be able to change the name of the old PC and join the new one as the old ones name and simply copy the files over? I thought I read somewhere about how when you copy files from one server to another, security permissions are lost.

Thanks again!
          if you just copy and paste in the gui then you're loose the permissions etc. however you could use something like xcopy or robocopy to copy over the whole top level directories including the permissions, archive tags etc.

Once you've got them copied over then you'll be able to set the shares up as needed.

Just one point though - you can't have both machines on the network with the same name so you'd have to either rename the old one before joining the new one to the domain or stage it by joining the new one with a different name, copy the info over, rename the old one to something different and then rename the new one to whatever you have the old one as originally.

Touch complicated when it's be easier to simply remap some drives and point people at the new server IMO

Comment

Originally posted by graycat View Post
            if you just copy and paste in the gui then you're loose the permissions etc. however you could use something like xcopy or robocopy to copy over the whole top level directories including the permissions, archive tags etc.

Once you've got them copied over then you'll be able to set the shares up as needed.

Just one point though - you can't have both machines on the network with the same name so you'd have to either rename the old one before joining the new one to the domain or stage it by joining the new one with a different name, copy the info over, rename the old one to something different and then rename the new one to whatever you have the old one as originally.

Touch complicated when it's be easier to simply remap some drives and point people at the new server IMO

Thanks for the info! Xcopy worked like a charm!

JB

Comment

Originally posted by JBHitman View Post
              Thanks for the info! Xcopy worked like a charm!

JB
              Glad to hear it, friend.

Comment

Working...
              X