Need help configuring my personal server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help configuring my personal server

I am trying to configure my PC to host my website, but I keep running into several issues. I have VERY little experience with networking and zero experience with servers. Here's my situation:

I want to host my website on my personal PC which is running Windows XP Pro. I have installed IIS, but I don't know how I should configure it. I have a static IP address from my ISP, and I'm using a Linksys router because I have a broadband phone, and another computer which I use for internet browsing and other general purposes. I've tried to search the internet for help with name resolution, but I can't find anything, and I really need to find out how to do it.

My main confusion is 1) Which DNS addresses do I setup with my domain registrar for my domain name to point to? 2)How do I configure IIS?3)How do I configure my router as far as IP, DNS Servers, Gateway, etc.... and 4)How do I configure my PC's IP, DNS, etc. so that my domain name will point to my website on my PC?

Also, I need to figure out how to modify my MX record so I can send and receive my email from my domain. My registrar told me that if I change my nameservers I also have to change the MX record on my own computer which is hosting my website, but I don't know where to find the MX record on my computer.

I didn't think hosting my own website would be so difficult and frustrating! Please help... anything would be very appreciated!

Re: Need help configuring my personal server

Originally posted by sirtiksalot
    I want to host my website on my personal PC which is running Windows XP Pro....I have installed IIS...I have a static IP address...I'm using a Linksys router...
    1) Which DNS addresses do I setup with my domain registrar for my domain name to point to?
    2) How do I configure IIS?
    3) How do I configure my router as far as IP, DNS Servers, Gateway?
    4) How do I configure my PC's IP, DNS, etc. so that my domain name will point to my website on my PC?
    5) How do I modify my MX record?
    1) Use the static IP assigned to your modem unless you have more than 1 static IP and your router supports multi-NAT (no linksys router does to my knowledge)
    2) Setting up IIS to host a simple site is easy. Create a new site and use the wizard, point it to folder where you've placed your files. There are tons of places that give step-by-step guides for this. http://www.pctechnicians.ca/help/XPIIS.html
    3) With your registrar create an A record called insertyourdomainnamehere.com (point it at your static IP address), then create a CName called "www" and point it at the A record you just created.
    4) This is done within the router, look for port forwarding. Forward ports 25 (smtp), 80 (http), 110 (pop3), 443 (https) to your internal IP address i.e. "192.168.1.2" assuming this PC is hosting all these services.
    5) This needs to be done on the authoritative dns for your domain, most likely your registrar. Use your static IP as the address.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks so much-- that is very helpful. I'm still kinda confused about a couple things though...
      for my dns settings you said to use the static ip address of my modem, but my registrar said that I need to create nameservers in the format "xxx.realxpressions.com" with realxpressions.com being my domain name because their system won't accept ip addresses for nameservers, so I associated the dns addresses from my isp with "ns1.realxpressions.com" and "ns2.realxpressions.com". is that what I should do?
      And second, my registrar said that I have to change my mx record on my machine since my nameservers are no longer pointing to their servers. does that sound reasonable? if so, how do I modify this on my machine? is there a certain program that I need to install, or an iis snap-in or do I use iis?

Comment

You're going to need someone to host DNS for you, WinXP can not function as a DNS server.

How do you currently have your DNS configured?

If your ISP is hosting your DNS you'll need to contact the DNS admin for Cox.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

a new issue...

now i have somehow got my website to work and it could be accessed on the internet, but it keeps working for a little while and then stops working. sometimes it works for a couple hours, and sometimes only a couple of minutes. I am not changing any settings when this happens. if i mess around with my webpage and delete it from iis and then reinstall it, sometimes it will work again and sometimes not. my iis system error log keeps saying this:

1) The IIS Admin service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 11 time(s).

2)The World Wide Web Publishing service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 9 time(s).

when i try to access my webpage, i keep getting the "cannot find server" "page cannot be displayed" page. even if i restart iis, it still doesn't work. what i also find odd is that from the iis console, if i right click the iis help page and click "browse" i get the same message. so i can't access the help menu to help me troubleshoot this problem. i don't understand how it can work one minute, and the next it wants to shut down and then not function again. i am trying to get my e-commerce site up and running so i can start paying for all of this e-commerce software i've bought, and all i'm getting now is very frustrated
          PLEASE HELP!!!

Comment

Working...
          X