No announcement yet.

How to Migrate my DNS, AD settings ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Migrate my DNS, AD settings ???

G'Day All,

My new post here is to inquire, how to change my AD and DNS settings.

Previously I configured my NIC with IP address as 192.168.0.1. Then I installed my DNS and AD on that IP address. The reason was to share my Internet connection. And as we all know, that ICS defaults the NIC IP address to 192.168.0.1.

Now I changed my settings for the ICS, I migrated my server to RRAS and NAT services. Internet is working fine. My Cisco switch is working fine, my laptop is connected to the Internet via NAT.

Now how do I change my settings for the AD for the IP address scheme, which I want. Because I don't want to uninstall my AD and DNS. And go though entire wrig-moral of reconfiguring everything.

Any important notes from the entire forum will be appreciated.

Regards

Anshu
    Last edited by anshu.daksh; 2nd August 2008, 23:23. Reason: Subscription

Re: How to Migrate my DNS, AD settings ???

I suppose the easiest way will be to have second DC in domain and to transfer all FSMO roles to it. After that you can demote your first DC

Comment

Thank you alien_ri

I will try that.

However do you reckon, If I changed the NIC with the IP address and then change my DHCP scope range will it do as well ???

Regards

Anshu

Comment

Dear alien_ri

I did a search at Google on the FSMO roles in Windows Server 2003. Found the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324801

I well understood the steps into that article. However I was still wondering if before creating the second DC. What are the preparation steps? Which I meant as configuring the NIC with the new starting IP address, DC password and other good stuff.

Regards

Anshu

Comment

I am talking about migrating DC ONLY! I'm not talking about the rest of your inviroment! Keep that in mind Don't forget to count all other roles that your server is serving and how will it impact your AD migration. Planning is important!

I sudgest to try it in some kind of test inviroment before you implement it in production inviroment. In that case you will be sure that migration will finish as you would like and chance of downtime will be minimal

If you want to point your DHCP users to new DC, you need to reconfigure scope

Comment

Working...
          X