Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windows 2003 login problem

hi ,
    i have windows windows 2003 Std machine running AD , i tried to apply the SP2 but it failed in the middle of the operation and after that i got a problem that i can't see my console login screen after rebooting, the only availabe way to login for me is to login remotely, tried the last good known configuration but it didn't help.. how can i recover from this problem? anyone can help.....

Re: windows 2003 login problem

If you can RDP then it might be worth having a read of this
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._22529252.html
    and re-applying SP2?

This from above:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/en-us

How many DCs do you have? If the machine isn't doing anything else (and you have 2 or more other DC then it may be best to wipe it, remove it from AD and start again.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      If you can RDP then it might be worth having a read of this
      http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/M..._22529252.html
      and re-applying SP2?

This from above:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/en-us

How many DCs do you have? If the machine isn't doing anything else (and you have 2 or more other DC then it may be best to wipe it, remove it from AD and start again.
      thx AndyJG247

experts-change link didn't help cause i don't have a premium membership there so i couldn't check the replies of the post

i have only one DC running the AD , so i can't remove it .

Comment

You can usually scroll right to the bottom to read posts I believe.

Is AD still functioning as far as you can tell? I would get another in there ASAP if it is.
        If not then did you take a backup before?
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
          You can usually scroll right to the bottom to read posts I believe.

Is AD still functioning as far as you can tell? I would get another in there ASAP if it is.
          If not then did you take a backup before?
          i was planning to back up the system after applying the SP2 and unfortunately no backup was taken before it.

AD still working fine so far, some system exe files get damage like cmd but it's ok, my major problem right now is how to fix the console login issue, the system stop showing any kind of login interface in all modes.

Comment

I would start off by getting a VM of 2003 up and adding it to the AD, sync this and you should then have a backup of the users etc.
            Following that did you have another look at the EE article?
            If you try and remove the things recommended and re-apply the SP what happens?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

EE is for members only,if you are not a member, the only thing you can see is the the posts but none of the replies,they prove a free 7 days trial free of charge , but u have to fill the billing boxes putting your Visa information .. etc, so it didn't help

didn't try to remove or apply anything yet , worry to have more problems in addition to what i already have but i think i will try the microsoft link solution if i didn't find anything else to try.

VM idea is interesting and i will consider it , to be honest i didn't try it before , my big concern to have any client/server authentication problems after it .
              Last edited by manhanson; 31st July 2008, 16:17.

Comment

Sorry for that, I do know they did show the answers right at the bottom when you scrolled past the "hidden" answers so either it has changed or I just didn't understand it. As it is hidden I don't believe it is right to paste what is there.

I would:
                Check the SP install log first to see if there are errors
                clean the temp directory
                disable AV
                remove the Hotfix cache located at %WINDIR%\$hf_mig$\KB*
                and C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download
                and C:\WINDOWS\$Nt* (all these hidden files hidden)
                and go through that article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798/en-us

The second DC just means you get some resilience should the server not be fixable.
                cheers
                Andy

Comment

Working...
                X